Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips  (Read 1489 times)

Offline injuryian

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: WOKING
Heated grips
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
Now in the Northern hemisphere we are cooling off nicely, I've had a few goes on the ol' heated grips.

Anyone else woefully unimpressed by the On, Off or Very off settings?😄

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »
They all work to an extent but if your riding around in cold temps, you need the initial windblast  taken away, for that, you cant beat a set of bar muffs AND the heated grips in my experience.

They look shite I know but with Winter riding , the emphasis shifts to comfort and staying safe than aesthetics.

That said, im now a softie and just dont ride my bikes in Winter,  been there and done that one but I know many choose to ride in Winter and enjoy it, my brother being one.

Offline injuryian

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: WOKING
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
Compared to my previous bike, that had low med and high.
The bmw on high is as warm as my old bikes low.

The medium is what Im after, on high you couldnt hold the bars  :008:

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »
My heated grips work great, and I seriously doubt you're seeing lower temperatures than we do in Atlantic Canada ;)

Online CrazyBiker

• S1000R Pro
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR, FZ1
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »
Most manufacturers have toned down the heated grips in motorcycles as well as cars especially as too hot can burn the grip rubber compromising control and even car seats
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
  • "Ride it like you stole it!"
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by injuryian [+]
Now in the Northern hemisphere we are cooling off nicely, I've had a few goes on the ol' heated grips.

Anyone else woefully unimpressed by the On, Off or Very off settings?😄

The s1kr is the first bike I've owned with heated grips, so I cant make a comparison with others. That said, the difference for me is night and day! The dual temp settings work as advertised.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »
 :0461:

Same here. The heated grips certainly make for more pleasant riding on the cooler spring / autumn days or even up in the mountains during the summer. The cold winter days are best left to the heated seats in my car...

Offline RRickyA

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
The R/RR, being sports bikes, have less room for whatever it is that it takes to deliver the heated grips (smaller battery may also play a part) than other BMs, so naturally can't deliver as much heat. I've always had an RR, but the R used to be a K13, and before that an F800ST, and both of them had much warmer grips...far too warm in the case of the F, which was usually ridden in the lower heat mode.

Offline KCinNC

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2018 s1000r
  • City / Town: Murphy
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 09:39:31 PM »
I agree with hooligan.
 I have only used mine once in the low setting but couldn't imagine wanting too much warmer.

Offline KlausK

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
I feel the high setting is not hot enough even when running a pair of Barkbusters Storm hand guards to take the wind. Furthermore I don't feel the low setting is not cold enough. On top of that I lack more levels in between. Maybe I should mention I ride in almost any weather except when there is snow on the road. Today it was below freezing when I left for work. :190:

For reference I used to have a pair of Oxford heated grips on my Yamaha MT07. They worked awesome. Very hot on max and 5 levels to choose from.

Recent Posts/Topics