Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Maintenace  (Read 3020 times)

Online SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
Re: Chain Maintenace
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
Its a very unique product and am surprised no one else has purchased the patent and remade it.

Here is what Oil Eater looks like. Biodegradable and as effective as kerosene!

How is it on the O-rings? how many miles do you have on your bike?

My last chain lasted 26,000 on my Ducati 1098. Hoping to get the same on my BMW

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R|Tuono|Tiger
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
How is it on the O-rings? how many miles do you have on your bike?

My last chain lasted 26,000 on my Ducati 1098. Hoping to get the same on my BMW

It is O-ring safe as its water based and biodegradable. My FZ1 chain is still going great at 32k miles and I didn't baby it. Best part is its much cheaper than Kerosene as its sold as a concentrate and 1 gallon makes around 2 gallons of cleaner.

http://oileater.com/household/cleaner-degreaser/dilution-charts/

Also helps clean up engine, wheels, greasy hands as its non-toxic and non-corrosive.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/best-degreaser-57511.html#post590555

* * * Product Description * * *
OIL EATER safely dissolves grease and oil on asphalt or concrete driveways, engines, lawn mowers, tools, ovens and outdoor grills. It's excellent as a pre-wash for dirty clothes and will remove most stains from carpets, floor mats and upholstery. An excellent concentrate for pressure washing and parts cleaning machines. Diluted as directed, Oil Eater saves money. An application and dilution chart is included on the rear label of all packages. The chart is expanded on the one gallon, five gallon, and fifty-five gallon sizes to cover commercial, industrial and utility applications. NON-FLAMMABLE, CONTAINS NO ACIDS, ABRASIVES OR PETROLEUM SOLVENTS. AUTHORIZED BY USDA FOR CLEANING NON-FOOD AREAS. OIL EATER CLEANER/DEGREASER is a water-based, fresh-scented, biodegradable cleaner that effectively replaces flammable or combustible solvent cleaners. It contains no hazardous chlorinated/fluorinated solvents or acidic-type chemicals. OIL EATER'S formulation safely accomplishes the cleaning that previously required solvent or acid cleaners and exposed the user and the environment to the inherent hazards of such chemicals. This unique formula of non-ionic surfactants, emulsifiers, water softeners and other biodegradable ingredients cuts through oily and greasy dirt, encapsulating the oil and dirt into a solution that can easily be rinsed away. OIL EATER CLEANER/DEGREASER has been used successfully by the automotive, machine tool, metal fabricating, micro processing, packaging, professional fabric cleaning and many more industries for production as well as maintenance of their facilities. IT TRULY IS THE ONE NEW CLEANER THAT REPLACES MANY.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:05:36 PM by CrazyBiker »
2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
RACE ECU|Arrow Exhaust|RSV4 Bellpan|CF Tank/Tail sliders|Powerbronze Screen|Koso Heated Grips2014 S1000R Premium
Akra Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax,Tecbike Pan|Bestem CF Fender,sliders|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360 LED signals|H&B panniers
2017 Tiger Explorer XCa
Expedition Cases|ADV protector

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
For those with curious minds this is a link to the product data sheet:

http://complyplus.grainger.com/grainger/msds.asp?sheetid=4196962#sec2

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Taking your chain completely off the bike also requires removing/replacing the master link (since the chain is assembled around the swingarm), which is a lot more work than I'm willing to undergo rather than just doing what I always do, clean & degrease every 1,000km and respray with maxima chain wax every other ride, or as it looks like it needs it (more often when raining).
There is no master link. It is endless, riveted with a heavy duty crimping tool. You have to pick a link and grind off rivet heads and punch them out. Find a YouTube on it for a good visualization. If you install an aftermarket chain and use a master link you have made an error, the bike has way too much power for such an installation.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
There is no master link. It is endless, riveted with a heavy duty crimping tool. You have to pick a link and grind off rivet heads and punch them out. Find a YouTube on it for a good visualization. If you install an aftermarket chain and use a master link you have made an error, the bike has way too much power for such an installation.

Further illustrating my point that it's not worth the effort to remove your chain just to clean it ;)

Offline Shasta McNasty

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Northville, MI
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]

The OEM chain has no master link.   Normally, aftermarket chains do have master links.  There are 2 basic types of master links...clip-type and rivet-type.  For sure, you should not use a clip-type master link on an S1000R.  You can safely use a rivet-type master link, with the usual disclaimers (e.g. use a high-quality chain, use the correct technique to rivet the master link, etc.). 

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
I believe I have found the perfect solution.

Motul chain cleaner, this thing is amazing.
Let it sit on chain for 5min to do its magic.
Then spend a ludicrous amount of rages to wipe it off.

Finally I re-lube my chain with GT86 spray.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 12:01:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by VARRAKK [+]
I believe I have found the perfect solution.

Motul chain cleaner, this thing is amazing.
Let it sit on chain for 5min to do its magic.
Then spend a ludicrous amount of rages to wipe it off.

Finally I re-lube my chain with GT86 spray.

Oh, you mean the product I mentioned a page ago? ;)

:430:

Online SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 08:35:08 PM »
Who makes the stock chain? I found rust my chain at 5500 miles which seems very premature.

My DID chain on my Ducati lasted 26000 miles and no rust.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Stavanger
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »
I use lamp oil (basically kerosene) to clean the chain, it's very cheap, bought a liter in 2016 and still haven't used all of it.

I have the bike on a stand, spray on and spinn the rear wheel while wiping it clean using rags until there is no grime left.
Then use Castrol chain lube as it stays in place and is not thrown all over the place.

I lube the chain every 700-1000km, and clean it every 1500-2000km.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor