Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Maintenace  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
  • "Ride it like you stole it!"
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
Chain Maintenace
« on: November 17, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »
Rather than cleaning my chain while its on the bike, I will be removing the rear wheel for a tire change soon. I was thinking of taking the chain off and letting it soak and scrubbing it while its off. Seems like an easier and less messy affair than doing it on the bike.
Any thoughts?
Maybe a dumb question....if so, I apologize. Is there an inside and outside side to the chain ?

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Chain Maintenace
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
TBH - I've used SDOC chain cleaner - you spray on and let it soak - then I spray again and agitate with a chain brush - then hose off the grease/dirtwith cold water - wipe off and down with a cloth until as clean and dry as possible - I do this every 1000 miles or so and the chain looks brand new and ready for a fresh coat of lube - takes absolutely everything off !  Much less hassle than either splitting the chain  or taking the swingarm off and you can repeat to your hearts content !

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »
 I've been using a similar product from Motul...definitely does the job. Having never split the chain on my S1kr or my previous 'beater' bikes for that matter and more recently coming from a bunch of belt drive Harley's... Just another fleeting thought I guess. :087:
Thanks for saving me the hassle !

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
One thing is for sure, the side plates on the chains BMW are fitting can be affected with rust very little rain/moisture, that did surprise me, whatever you do, regular maintenance and lube is required to keep them in good order.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »
I'm a little OCD when it comes to maintenance .Cleaning /lubing the chain every 500km...more often if I've been out in bad weather for a stretch.
...probably changing my oil more often than I need to as well ! 

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
Have fun!
I used to be a frequent chain cleaner/luber but grew tired of it.

I have since fitted a pro oiler so i dont need to worry about cleaning it so much now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:52:55 AM by CraigA »

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
Soaking a chain in solvent to clean it would let the solvent penetrate into the rollers where the factory installed grease lives. Not good. Just clean it on the bike, spray lube of your choice and worry about buying new tires. I use a bit of kerosene to dampen a rag but there are cleaners out there. As mentioned 500K (I use 500 Miles as kept track on trip meter #2  :084:) is a reasonable interval but if you ride in rain it will need some spray that night. If the rollers look shinny it is time to lube also. Breaking the chain apart to clean it is way overboard and introduces more serious issues such as did you do a good job putting it back together with new parts. The link you grind and punch out will no longer be usable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:55:47 PM by beech »

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
Taking your chain completely off the bike also requires removing/replacing the master link (since the chain is assembled around the swingarm), which is a lot more work than I'm willing to undergo rather than just doing what I always do, clean & degrease every 1,000km and respray with maxima chain wax every other ride, or as it looks like it needs it (more often when raining).

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 01:24:07 AM »
Use a biodegradable (Soya-based) cleaner or WD-40. That cleans it up pretty well and just lube it with Dupont Teflon chain wax that doesn't cling to dust. Your change will stay pretty clean.
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline jdr

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: So California
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 02:02:08 AM »
Kerosene is ideal for cleaning (no damage to O-rings and good cleaner) and inexpensive, see YouTube > How To Clean & Lube Your Motorcycle Chain at RevZilla.com.
For a good lubricant and applicator: Chain Wax + Grease Ninja

Recent Posts/Topics