Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM oil filter versus aftermarket ones  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Skaterboy

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: LONDON
Re: OEM oil filter versus aftermarket ones
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
Genuine OE Mahle LX1841/1 Car Air Filter Motor Cycle OE 13717717842 70523686

This is factory fitted but has not the BMW  logo and is cheaper .
Available on eBay
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:43:45 PM by Skaterboy »

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »
The oil aint cheap and neither is a knacked engine - this isn't a cheap hack bike so I'd say stump up and use oem - I do on most bikes - Ebay deals via dealers (my last was from Riders) are often quite good value. 

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
Thanks much !
...decided I will continue with the OEM filters. Cheap insurance.

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by wymanwinn [+]

Me too mate. I use the HF160RC.

Offline Waldorf

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 2017
  • City / Town: Eastern Ontario
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Agreed the OEM filters are expensive, I think my BMW filter cost over $20 CAD last time I bought it, but tbh I'd rather spend a bit more for the filter (and the BMW Advantec oil, for that matter) and not have to worry about BMW messing about if I need warranty repairs to the motor. 

I know officially you can use any filter that matches the required standards, but is it worth the hassle over maybe $10 or $20 a year?

My BMW dealership refilled with Shell oil on my first oil change. I asked for Advantec or Motul  but they said it will cost a me a lot more and they use Shell synthetic on all the BMWs since it is BMW speced . It may be that Shell manufactures Advantec oil. Somebody has to.
The oil filter used was a genuine BMW part.
2017 S1000R  Motorsport Colors
1996 GL1500SE  Pearl White

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Waldorf [+]

My BMW dealership refilled with Shell oil on my first oil change. I asked for Advantec or Motul  but they said it will cost a me a lot more and they use Shell synthetic on all the BMWs since it is BMW speced . It may be that Shell manufactures Advantec oil. Somebody has to.
The oil filter used was a genuine BMW part.

definitely- I've used Castrol Power 1 Racing to the same spec - no qualms and comes with BMW endorsements - I'd say as long as it's a recognised motorcycle oil brand of the right weight then all is good ! 

Offline rick_lee

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Cave Creek, AZ
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
BWM doesn't make oil or filters; they white label them.  They spec them out to others, stamp their logo on it, tack on another 50% or more to the price and that's it.  Mahle and Mann make just about every filter you can use on any German vehicle, just like Brembo or ATE do for brakes, Bosch for electronics, VDO for gauges, and on and on.  BMW does the design work, makes some of the major parts and does the assembly.  Anyway, my bike is out of warranty.  My filters will be coming from Amazon and will be Mahle or Mann, just like on all my past German cars and bikes.

Offline Toolman

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: West Sussex
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by rick_lee [+]
BWM doesn't make oil or filters; they white label them.  They spec them out to others, stamp their logo on it, tack on another 50% or more to the price and that's it.  Mahle and Mann make just about every filter you can use on any German vehicle, just like Brembo or ATE do for brakes, Bosch for electronics, VDO for gauges, and on and on.  BMW does the design work, makes some of the major parts and does the assembly.  Anyway, my bike is out of warranty.  My filters will be coming from Amazon and will be Mahle or Mann, just like on all my past German cars and bikes.

Bit of change of tack, but I was very surprised when on a Ducati factory tour earlier this year the guide informed us that only 2 items were made by Ducati themselves, One was the crankshaft, I think the other was cams, but don't quote me. That certainly bears out your post rick_lee.

Offline rick_lee

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Cave Creek, AZ
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »
I went to the Porsche factory parts store in Stuttgart long ago to buy a set of Euro tail lenses for my US-spec 911.  They had to order them.  Guess from where - Bosch.

Offline Skaterboy

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »
Thank you rick_lee you can get these genuine parts a lot cheaper online but without BMW logo. The oil filter was the only service part I could not find cheaper had to go to BMW for that.

Recent Posts/Topics