Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do you need a trickle charge connected  (Read 675 times)

Offline Mick Oliver

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: Stanford-le-hope
Do you need a trickle charge connected
« on: October 22, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Hi Guys
I used to have a Mille 1000 and that had to be left on charge or would not start if left for a week.
Now I have the S1000r and I leave the alarm on how long will a battery last before it goes flat because my CBR600rr would go flat in 2 weeks with the Honda alarm running.
Is it worth investing in a NOCO1100 charger and wire it in with a flying lead under the pillion seat?

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Do you need a trickle charge connected
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:08 AM »
I think regardless, trickle charge any bike - it definitely gets you optimum life out of your battery  - as you say, direct underseat fly leads that you can plug into every ride. I just use a fairly budget Oxford Oximiser 900 (about 30) and it's spot on. So far  (touch wood) have run bikes that are 5/6 years old with their original battery and still going strong when I sold them.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:29:00 AM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline Mick Oliver

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
I dont know if the batteries are not what they were because our car goes flat in 2 weeks and has had a new battery as well but the original one was on there for years and never went flat.
I did notice on the batteries I had for the car that it is only a paper sticker saying the make it makes you wonder if there are cheap imports with new stickers.
I was speaking to a BMW car mechanic and he said a lot of the new ones run the batteries down quickly if not used for a week or so.

Offline Alan

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: BRISTOL
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:00:19 AM »
I have one of the original Optimate chargers that I bought in the late 90's for my ZX9R and I have used it on every bike since, the latest being my ZX10R which is now 7 years old and still on the original battery.  I have put a charging lead in under the pillion seat and will be using it over winter.  I have also turned the alarm off for winter as the garage is alarmed and if they get through that the bike alarm isn't going to worry them

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
I also have a pair of late 90s era Optimates that have been looking after my batteries ever since. Ive only lost two batteries in that time, one was years old and the other was cheap cr*p that died just after a year.

The standard BMW battery that comes in the R doesnt have the best rep for power or longevity, so even more reason to take care of it (or replace it with something better and take care of that, I guess).

Offline Mick Oliver

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »
I have decided to fit the NOCO charger unit that I have already for the car so it can double up.
Cheeers for the comments.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
fact is bike batteries have got smaller and bikes have gained more and more electrics to them...My preferred option is to remove the batteries, bring them in the warmth of the house and give them a charge once a month or so, being doing that for decades and never had to replace I battery ive purchased.

Not a fan of leaving batteries on trickle chargers 24/7..(as you may have guessed from the post I made last week...) but we all have our preferences, if it works for you, whose to say its good/bad practice.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
My 2 cents....I have always plugged all my bikes into a trickle charger every time they are parked. Extends battery life.

Recent Posts/Topics