Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What motor temp. to wait for before shifting into gear on cold starts?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
Re: What motor temp. to wait for before shifting into gear on cold starts?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »
Amen  :0461:

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 09:42:27 AM »
Start it, and ride away.  Waiting for the engine to warm-up is a bad habit picked up from car driving, where it makes even less sense.  There, driving away allows the engine/transmission/drivetrain to warm-up together.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:42:58 AM by BillB »

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:45 PM »
Im guilty on all accounts.  :110:I relate the warm up to my aching joints.  stretch before I exercise allowing the fluids to circulate.
17S1KR

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »
The only "waiting" I do is the time it takes to strap on the "lid", pick the playlist I'll be listening to and GO  :001:

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 12:11:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Meguerra [+]
The reason I ask is it seems on the cold starts the clunk feel and sound when shifting down into 1st gear is more pronounced the colder the engine is than when at full operating temp. and there have been a few times when shifting down into 1st I get the clunk feel and sound but it stays in N and I have to be more forceful when shifting down into 1st on cold starts.
Clunk.....Many BMW bikes are famous for this, My K1300S is nasty. And it is a lot of shock to the parts. Same with the S bike.  The throw out bearing for the clutch is able to handle much use. I just opened my K bike clutch at 112,000 miles and the throw out bearing was just fine. Start the bike in First Gear not neutral. Obviously you are holding the clutch in. Warm it up for 10 seconds and move out. Even if it is very cold and you need two minutes to get above 40 or so *F use first gear. Sitting at stop lights, use first gear. I doubt if I use Neutral twice a year except to roll the bike around. I roll the bike in gear but clutch in to break the clutch plates apart for easy starting but not needed, just anal. Being in gear at a stoplight gives you options to move if you sense trouble like an oncoming car to the rear. (don't pull up behind cars at a stop, stay back one car length for maneuvering room)
Here is a picture of a RT idling for 10 minutes:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:15:44 AM by beech »

Recent Posts/Topics