Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New batteries need charge?  (Read 779 times)

Offline hedonist222

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: R ninet
  • City / Town: Abu Dhabi
Re: New batteries need charge?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by edbi [+]
If you don't ride for a few months then disconnect the negative battery terminal and it will stay fresh in hot climate where you live.

Yeah. Thanks.
Stuff we know but never end up doing.

2016 bmw r ninet
2016 bmw s1000r

Former:
2015 KTM 500 EXC 6 Days

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
Well, more comments, Heat kills batteries. Chemical reactions happen twice as fast for every 10*F above 70*. Also 12.4 volts is the bottom for a working battery. Also for the one poster, 12.4 volts even after some charging, your battery is no good. Two or three years is about all you can trust a battery for. (excluding some lithium units). Set your battery charge wiring directly to the battery with an inline fuse. Use a quality smart maintenance unit for motorcycles after three days of no riding. Another tip, to really check battery voltage for health, put a volt meter on it and try to start it, if the voltage drops below 9.5 volts it is history.  Here is some information on sulfation and the death of a battery.
http://www.crownbattery.com/news/sulfation-and-battery-maintenance
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:28:12 PM by beech »

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 10:28:30 PM »
Considering the advancements in battery technology  & from reading this & other threads it seems some are not taking advantage.
My oem battery failed after 14 months & I have been using a lithium ever since.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
Having the terrible problems of a short commute and more vehicles than drivers/riders, I learned early on that battery chargers are our friends.

Putting a charging cable on a new bike is the first thing I do.  It really doesn't take much effort to get into the habit of plugging in to a charger if the vehicle is going to sit for more than a few days.  It's a heck of a lot easier than changing batteries ever couple of years.  :110:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:55:27 AM by BillB »

Offline hedonist222

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: R ninet
  • City / Town: Abu Dhabi
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by S1rdek [+]
Considering the advancements in battery technology  & from reading this & other threads it seems some are not taking advantage.
My oem battery failed after 14 months & I have been using a lithium ever since.

Taking advantage of what?
2016 bmw r ninet
2016 bmw s1000r

Former:
2015 KTM 500 EXC 6 Days

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by BillB [+]
It really doesn't take much effort to get into the habit of plugging in to a charger if the vehicle is going to sit for more than a few days.

I find its more of a problem these days remembering to disconnect the charger before riding off. I was hoping to have a few more years before I started doing stupid absent-minded stuff like that, so Im going to stick with the excuse that I just forget in the excitement of going out for a ride...

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »
Not a fan of leaving batteries or any electrical device on charge for weeks/months on end when there is no need for it and the device was designed to be used 24/7

I prefer to disconnect them and bring them into the warmth of the house, giving them a charge before use..Never replaced one by doing this.

This happened to a friend of mines charger & bike, whilst he ws asleep...lucky man and not uncommon..

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
I find its more of a problem these days remembering to disconnect the charger before riding off. I was hoping to have a few more years before I started doing stupid absent-minded stuff like that, so Im going to stick with the excuse that I just forget in the excitement of going out for a ride...

:002: That is definitely something I worry about, too.  I have a long charging extension cord so that I can reach all the vehicles, and I use that as a reminder by draping it across the bike's bars while it is hooked up.  For the cars, it is easier for me not to see and forget, so I usually leave the hood popped slightly.

On my other bikes where the battery is under the friggin tank, getting access to remove it for storage or charging is way too much of a pain in the neck.

*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Not a fan of leaving batteries or any electrical device on charge for weeks/months on end when there is no need for it and the device was designed to be used 24/7
This happened to a friend of mines charger & bike, whilst he ws asleep...lucky man and not uncommon..

I had a battery explode in a standby generator as a result of charging, but that was because it was a dumb trickle charger.  The battery chargers like the Tenders and the Optimates are much more intelligent, don't overcharge, and are made for maintenance charging.  I would be very surprised if the battery failure in that picture was the result of a smart charger.  Regardless, that'll buff right out.    :084:   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:57:20 PM by BillB »

Recent Posts/Topics