Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Am I asking too much for my S1000R?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Am I asking too much for my S1000R?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »
Looking at the trade figures for new bike sales in the UK this month and the qtr BMW are down on sales anyway, of the super nakeds, the Triumphs and Yamaha MT range are doing well but the S1000R doesnt get a mention, best seller for BMW in the UK was the R9T and the R1200.

The demand and interest for a second hand model will mirror that.

As great a bike as the S1000R is, it must be the most overlooked of the Supernakeds and many people I speak to and what I read online , its dismissed as an option without much thought, as I nearly did, only a test ride swayed my mind.

Kinda echos whats been hinted at above, it perhaps needs a refresh now...

Offline ParkingLotRossi

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17 BMW S1000R
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 01:06:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
So, did you sell your bike?  :018:

Hhaha no. My goal is to have it sold around riding season next year though.

Offline ParkingLotRossi

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17 BMW S1000R
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 01:25:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Looking at the trade figures for new bike sales in the UK this month and the qtr BMW are down on sales anyway, of the super nakeds, the Triumphs and Yamaha MT range are doing well but the S1000R doesnt get a mention, best seller for BMW in the UK was the R9T and the R1200.

The demand and interest for a second hand model will mirror that.

As great a bike as the S1000R is, it must be the most overlooked of the Supernakeds and many people I speak to and what I read online , its dismissed as an option without much thought, as I nearly did, only a test ride swayed my mind.

Kinda echos whats been hinted at above, it perhaps needs a refresh now...

Yes I completely agree, the bike is great but it just seems like it's not an option to people. A couple months ago, I got in a conversation w/people about bikes, the person stated they wanted a RR for a bike and I asked them "what about the R?" The person almost immediately said no, almost as if the R was inferior or something. BMW really does need to change things up for the R.

Offline mad ad

• S1000R Member
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
I nearly by passed the R myself, after testing one it did make up my mind, the power the cornering speed, what I do love about it is, it is abit of a sleepier/underdog until people see what they can do, and then I have a little chuckle in my helmet as they cannot believe it.

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
Motorcycle advertising is BMW's weak set. They're bikes that could have gone the distance with some well placed national television adds in the States. Even motorcycle magazines would be a good place. The S1000R is a great bike and many people are missing out on a superior package. 2010 I test road a RR. I knew instantly not for me. I told myself if they put super bike handle bars on it and opened up the pegs just a little I would buy one, guess what. In just a few minutes I'm headed out for a ride on mine between rainy days here.  :305:  (the K bike is apart in the garage waiting for clutch parts, it is my normal wet work bike.)
With some add agency doing some work with the S1R bike, sales would go crazy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:58:46 PM by beech »

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Motorcycle advertising is BMW's weak set. They're bikes that could have gone the distance with some well placed national television adds in the States. Even motorcycle magazines would be a good place. The S1000R is a great bike and many people are missing out on a superior package. 2010 I test road a RR. I knew instantly not for me. I told myself if they put super bike handle bars on it and opened up the pegs just a little I would buy one, guess what. In just a few minutes I'm headed out for a ride on mine between rainy days here.  :305:  (the K bike is apart in the garage waiting for clutch parts, it is my normal wet work bike.)
With some add agency doing some work with the S1R bike, sales would go crazy.

The S1000R is however is advertised in maagines like Performance Bikes over in the UK.

Advertising only works in conjuction with a good product and a good offer, in my view , the interest and noise along with its funky(not saying I like it, but it is different) of the MT10, the Speed Triples...err...triple and the V Twin KTMs give them a USP.

The BMWs styling and 4 cylinder motor doesnt differentiate it enough from the opposition, the pricing (unlike the GSX. which has both a low price point and a great finance offer..) doesnt make is feel good value, add in the fact its the longest toothed of all the supernakeds  (lets be honest, the 2017 facelift bike doesnt look much different to the 2014 model nor ride much different and more than one person from this forum has told me thats why the didnt buy a second BMW.

National main channel advertising is,in the UK anyway,  beyond bike manufacturers budgets, apart from Honda in the late 70s/80s, I dont think ive ever seen a national advert for any bike, any advert to promote motorcycling would be more beneficial, for a manufactures top line sports bike, not going to happen IMHO

No, the S1000R needs a major update before it starts to appear in the sales figures in my opinion, as much as it pains me to say it as I bought a new one just a few months ago!

Offline MA413

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »
I just bought a 17 for $13,450 before taxes and thats including the BMW Emergency Service workers discount promo ($750).  Bike has 57miles on her with Premium package and HP Wheels.  Price seem far to me for what i get.  Would of opted for used but I thought a few extra ponies couldnt hurt and was within my budget.
17S1KR

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
If someone else has put 57 miles on the clock, isnt the bike used (even if only very slightly)? Either that or its a very long way from the workshop to the sales showroom at your dealer  :038:

Offline MA413

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »
 :030:I see your point and Ive got nothin.
17S1KR

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor