Author Topic: DDC forks soft vs hard  (Read 3997 times)

Offline ILikeVroomVroom

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17 S1000r
Re: DDC forks soft vs hard
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 05:49:23 PM
I have a 17 and also do not notice difference in the front forks only the rear shock.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 06:16:17 PM
Your weight?  Looking for a possible pattern/reason why some notice it and some don't. I'm assuming you sometimes ride on bumpy / rougher roads when in dynamic suspension mode versus road.  Hard and soft modes are only on pre-'17 bikes.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:17:24 PM by windyrun

Offline Hyper-Byker

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Lowestoft
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 06:49:51 PM
*Originally Posted by miles [+]

How much do you weigh, and have you set sag as per the manual's instructions?

No. I haven't done any of those checks yet. I've only had it a year and 11000 miles. Haha!
However, I did a track day yesterday and the suspension seemed just fine on the hard settings. The tyre wear was absolutely perfect. Which I was once told is a good sign of suspension set up.
S1000R Sport - Catalano Gray - 2018 - Forged wheels.
Rizoma brake fluid res. Oberon mirrors on fabricated S/S bar end weights. New Rage Cycles LED indicators tail tidy.
Modified plate hanger. USB & SatNav combined mount.
Headlamp bulbs upgrade. Fabricated chain lube drip guide.

Offline WhereTFisneutral???

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 01:58:32 AM
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
I'd be curious to see a table of people's weights and preload settings front/rear for DDC bikes (5 turns from max, etc)...  might help others set their bikes up.

I think this is a great idea  :028: when the weather changes and I dial mine in ill post my results.

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ulverston
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 09:25:45 PM
I'll be interested to see the set up of the DDC as per rider weight.

The manual doesn't seem much help.
I've always tinkered with suspension set up, Static and Rider sag the first measurement that I dial in (the manual's DDC Spring Preload).

The first time I rode mine it was soooo hard on the spine, even on the motorway! Something seriously wrong there.

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ulverston
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 06:19:03 PM
Been playing with mine and these are my base settings I'm reasonably happy with.
S1000R OD02 2016
I'm 90Kg
I placed a brick each side to stand on to straddle the bike without putting any weight on the bike, so the bike can be held straight up. The Mrs measured.

***Ignition on, set to SOFT, 1 up***

2 Fork Rings showing

Sag/preload

Front 23mm (20-24)         
1.5 turns out

Rear 9mm (6-10)
7 turns out

I can afford to go a little more preload as I'm still within the parameters.

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:40 PM
The way the suspension works on these bikes is not the same for all bikes.

I've had 2 S1000R's now and my current bike has had 2 lots of set up due to to work being carried out on the ECU, which effectively reset it.

So that's 3 set up sessions for the same rider. And after each set up the bike has been absolutely perfect on road and track.

Bike 1 set up.
Road Engine Mode
Road Suspension Mode
2 Helmets preload.

Bike 2, 1st set up.
Dynamic Pro Engine Mode.
Road Susoension Mode
2 Helmets preload.

Bike 2, 2nd set up.
Dynamic Engine Mode.
Road Suspension Mode.
2 Helmets preload.

Now, after the ECU was worked on, on bike 2 it rode like an absolute pig. The rear was rock hard and the front way too soft. Turn in felt really lazy and it didn't like holding a line. On fast 4th gear, hard on the gas sweepers the back end would pogo like mad.
None of the adjusters had been touched by the way, and the bike was on the same tyres as previous.

But now, after going through all the possible DDC combinations, the ones we have ended up with has brought the bike back to where it was previously and the manual adjusters didn't need touching.

What needs bearing in mind that each of the various engine, susoension and preload modes interact with one another and have a marked difference on how the suspension operates.

Common sense would suggest that :-
Rain Engine Mode.
Road Suspension Mode
1 Helmet preload
Would be lovely and soft at both ends and give a magic carpet ride.

And
Dynamic Pro Engine mode.
Dynamic Suspension Mode
2 Helmet preload.
Would be firm and taught at both ends.

With all other set ups in-between getting incrementally firmer. However, our suspension doesn't work like that!

Imagine each mode as being a traditional screw clicker.
A normal screw adjuster with 4 clicks of adjustment would go :-
1.Soft
2.A bit harder
3. Harder again.
4. Hardest setting.

However our modes can go.
1. Soft.
2. A bit harder.
3. Rock hard.
4. Soft.

So putting the bike in the modes that you think will have the affect you think it will won't work.

The bike itself wants / needs to be in the 1 correct combination of modes in order to work 'correctly' ... The problem is, that combination varies from bike to bike making it a bit of a nightmare and is why there is so much confusion centered around it.

Try it yourself. Sit on the bike with the ignition on and bounce up and down on it in every combination of modes, you should be able to feel if both ends of the bike are working in unison or not.

Make sure your static sag is set correctly first though.