Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 reliability - extended warranty worth it?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: 2016 reliability - extended warranty worth it?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
I tried to trade my bike in yesterday when I got the water pump leak (hopefully) fixed...  But they were undercutting the value of the bike so badly I couldn't justify doing it, lol.

Including you, me and two other people I know thats four people offered poor trade in values in the last few weeks  - factor in the time of year and the market pretty flooded with second hand and old pcp bikes, the BM is depreciating worse than the GSXS and the MT10 ! Non-BM Dealers obviously know that BM have been overvaluing its used price and many of these machines are now finding their way to non-franchised outlets and the private market.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:10:46 PM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: Palm Springs
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Woody146 [+]
100 percent yes buy an extended warranty!!!

Coolant issues, cam chain / tensioner / potential cam wear, micro switches breaking, handlebar switches malfunctioning

That is my 2 cents and personally, I would not own one of these bikes if it was not covered under a warranty

Im not trying to scare you. Im being real with you. I have owned 2 of these bikes and will always love them.

To get down to the cams is essentially doing an 18k in the tear down / labor aspect. That is around an 8 hour job. Most shops labor rates are at least 125$.  That is a lot of money and that is not including new cams which are over $1000. Warranty = worth it.

I believe the BMW warranty says it does not cover wear items, so it's not a sure thing they'll pay for your cam or crankshaft that goes out. I've heard, though, that if you've been taking your bike into the dealer for oil changes, and simple stuff like that, you're considered an excellent BMW customer and therefore they'll make exceptions.

Online SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by okemos [+]
I believe the BMW warranty says it does not cover wear items, so it's not a sure thing they'll pay for your cam or crankshaft that goes out. I've heard, though, that if you've been taking your bike into the dealer for oil changes, and simple stuff like that, you're considered an excellent BMW customer and therefore they'll make exceptions.

Cams and crankshafts should not considered wear items.

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
Cams and crankshafts should not considered wear items.

Neither should clutch cables at a couple of thousand miles, but...

Online SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by GDCobra [+]
Neither should clutch cables at a couple of thousand miles, but...

Has anyone's cam/crank shaft warranty claim been denied because it's considered an wear item(like brake pads are)?

Recent Posts/Topics