Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Great LED headlights (Cyclops look alikes)  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Shasta McNasty

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Northville, MI
Re: Great LED headlights (Cyclops look alikes)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 03:21:27 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, I installed the Amazon Cyclops-like ones today too.

The low beam was a royal PITA, and I'm still not sure I have it right.  I have the clip seated in the C-shaped holders on both sides, with the tab on the bulb facing up.  But I can still wiggle the bulb a little bit, and even rotate it slightly clockwise (viewed from the front of the bike).  Can't really rotate it counterclockwise past having the LED vertical though.  Does this sound right, or should I try again? 

I am sure I don't have the clip hung up on the fins around the fan, if that helps. 

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Pro
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR, FZ1
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 03:45:11 AM »
My bulbs don't rotate if you see my pics. Make sure the clips are seated on the bulb holder flange
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline stanksbeamen

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
I made a hole in the dust cap to keep the area as clean as possible. Not sure I will ride the bike in torrential rains though anyway ...

I agree, don't ride in super hard rains either.

*Originally Posted by Meguerra [+]

Thanks for the install video helped out a lot. What size  hole saw did you use on the dust cover? That low beam driving light was a pain until I figured out you don't have to twist it but push in the tab behind the wires with a screw driver and pull it out at the same time.

You're welcome, just confirmed it is a 25mm or 1 inch hole saw bit. I just kind of yanked on driving light and out she came haha.

*Originally Posted by Pavey [+]
This was very helpful mate, thanks very much. How the hell did you keep your cool though with getting that clip back on the bulb, i was using language i didn't even know i knew! It killed my fingers too, pushing down on it, until i figured pulling it to the side is better.

You're welcome! Haha, yeah I should of included in the vid that I used a glove (mechanic glove) to help me secure the bulb. I remember it killing my fingers as well, using the glove was a little easier but you don't have the feel or control you do without it so its an almost even trade off. I just kept going until I got it  :047:

*Originally Posted by Shasta McNasty [+]
Thanks for the pointer, I installed the Amazon Cyclops-like ones today too.

The low beam was a royal PITA, and I'm still not sure I have it right.  I have the clip seated in the C-shaped holders on both sides, with the tab on the bulb facing up.  But I can still wiggle the bulb a little bit, and even rotate it slightly clockwise (viewed from the front of the bike).  Can't really rotate it counterclockwise past having the LED vertical though.  Does this sound right, or should I try again? 

I am sure I don't have the clip hung up on the fins around the fan, if that helps. 

Some bulbs come with a piece that fits around the bulb when installing it to keep it secure. Did you have any left over pieces in your box or however it was packaged?
2017 S1000R
1997 E36 M3

Offline Shasta McNasty

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Northville, MI
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »
I figured it out, the H7 bulbs mentioned in this thread are in 2 pieces.  The bulb/fan piece twist-locks into the mounting flange!  So you can easily separate the bulb/fan, install the mounting flange, seat the clamp, then twist-lock the bulb/fan into place.  So much easier than fighting the clamp around the fan, and trying to set the clamp blind to boot!   :821:

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I was too excited about how (comparatively) easy it was to install the bulb this way.   :046:

The motion I was feeling was just the twist-lock mechanism... :008:

I think I'll put a dab of super-glue at the joint between the bulb/fan and the mounting flange just to be safe. 

Main point: check your H7 bulbs, if they have a separate mounting flange it makes your life much easier...

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
I might just get the HB3/9005 for the highbeam side. Has anyone tried this?

I might just run HIDs on the low beam side as they are usually lower profile at the bulb and come with a gasket for when I cut a hole in the cover. I do tour in all weather.

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Pro
  • Faster Smoother!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
Have them in high beam as well.
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
Have them in high beam as well.

Highbeams are HB3/9005 and low beams are H7. Did you order 2 kits?

Online zombie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
Well I didn't realize I was ordering quantity x2 of the H7 bulbs, if someone wants to order a set of H3's I'll trade you an H7 for an H3 ;)

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Pro
  • Faster Smoother!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
Highbeams are HB3/9005 and low beams are H7. Did you order 2 kits?

Yes. Always good to have spares as LEDs don't last as long as HIDs.
H&B panniers on both

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39:27 PM »
Yes. Always good to have spares as LEDs don't last as long as HIDs.

I don't know why, but that surprises me! I was under the impression that LED were long lasting.

Recent Posts/Topics