Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike hire tips for Aussie planning Europe bike trip (14-23 Sept 2018)  (Read 413 times)

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 s1kr sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne
I'm visiting Prague for business next week, and am about to investigate bike hire for ~1 week of vacation touring in Europe between 14-23 Sept.

Only constraint is that I fly home from Prague.  Otherwise, it's a blank canvas.  General goals are to seek out twisty roads and limit spend on accommodation. 

First step is to hire a bike... 

When in California recently, Miles suggested twistedthrottle.com, and it worked really well because rates were lower than commercial vendors, and styles of bikes were diverse.  Kind of like AirBnB for bikes.  I chose a multistrada to help me lug a duffel bag.  Alas, twistedthrottle don't cover Europe.

Anyone got tips on bike hire in Czech, Germany or surrounding areas? 

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
Re: Bike hire tips for Aussie planning Europe bike trip (14-23 Sept 2018)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
Indicative pricing for upmarket commercial hire seems to be around $1000 Euros for a week.  For example, R1200RT is 1120 Euros incl panniers plus per km fee above 2100 km.

http://www.bike-travel-service.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/motorcycle_rentprices_2018.pdf

J.

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »
Just checking in again - turns out that Germany is fantastic for biking.  I'm currently following the South route:

and tomorrow will embark on leg D.  Scenery and roads are sublime.  I've been lucky with weather too.

Hired a 1200GS, which is good for touring and carrying the gear, but it's no S1000R...

Bike was hired from Motorradvermietung, and I couldn't be happier with the bike condition.  2017 model with new Metzlers and they threw in GPS, USB adapter, and panniers for free.

For the route, I'm using this site as a hub:

https://www.motorradstrassen.de/touren/motorradstrasse-deutschland/msd-suedroute

... and it links off to kurvinger, which allows me to export kml and put the routes in google maps.

It also has an interactive map for finding accommodation:

https://motorradstrassen.com/#resourceDetail,51935020

which threw up a really nice Gusthouse last night.  I've been paying between 25-60 euros for accommodation, with a couple of AirBnB stays being on the cheaper side.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Fantastic, that looks like a great trip your doing there,2 wheels is 2 wheels and I think if enjoy that route on a moped!

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
Those villages with steep-roof white buildings that appear every 5km.

Day 1: Enchanting.
Day 4: Irritating.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor