Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Solution to problem of stoplight not knowing you're there waiting  (Read 452 times)

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: Palm Springs
Solution to problem of stoplight not knowing you're there waiting
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
Another rider told me this once and I thought I'd share. Sometimes you're at a red light at the front of the line or all by yourself and the light does not turn green for you. You realize it doesn't know you're there. So try this: Put your kickstand down and let it touch the pavement. This extra contact can make all the difference. It helps if you're over the sensor patch in the pavement, of course. Give it a whirl. See if it works for you.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Re: Solution to problem of stoplight not knowing you're there waiting
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
I'm surprised CA doesn't have a law like us here in NC.  It's legal for motorcycles to leave if the signal doesn't see you for 3 minutes.

So I usually count one-one thousand, two one-thousand, three!   :158: :305:

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: Palm Springs
Re: Solution to problem of stoplight not knowing you're there waiting
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
Until your post, I never thought to google the subject. I figured as motorcyclists we are on our own here. But it turns out it's called the "Dead Red" law. California does not allow motorcyclists to advance through a red light if the signal never turns green. However, here's some quality info that I will copy and paste for you that is good to know in case you're stuck at a light, no matter what state you live in.

Quote: Many states have laws handling this possibility (they usually require you to wait a fixed amount of time or a certain number of full cycles before running the light), one common term for them is dead red law. Unfortunately, California is not one of them. However, it is often said that you can argue that a traffic light that refuses to sense you is inoperative, which gives you the right to run it with caution when it is safe to do so under CVC 21800(d)(1).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:42:21 PM by okemos »

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor