Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another rear axle thread ...  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Fallout

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R, DRZ400
  • City / Town: Southampton
Another rear axle thread ...
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
Hi guys. Noob here, and this is my first post. I realise there is a rear axle thread about 2.3mm from this one (at time of writing), and I've read it and I did indeed rejoice at the happy ending.  :047: I thought I'd post a new one though, because I wanted to a) release the frustration to people who may (or may not care  :027: :001:, b) share my ridiculous axle pull method, and most importantly c) see if anyone thinks something more sinister is up and help me with ideas.

So like the other thread, my tyre was due for a change. Not only did it have -35mm of tread, but it has magically acquired a machete sized gouge in it while quietly sat in the garage (there are some big spiders in there, so I am guessing they're responsible). Fortunately I didn't ride off with my 1 atmosphere PSI. Anyway, come this weekend I had time to whip the wheel off and head down the garage for a new tyre. I had the same old sticky situation as mentioned elsewhere, and no amount of wood and hammer, penetrating oil, or horrific harsh language would get it to budge. I even got a map gas torch and literally set the axle on fire before dousing it with water and turning the whole garage into a Turkish steam bath. The whole back of the bike popped and creaked as it got as hot as the sun before cooling, and if the bearings in the wheel were good, they're now probably moulten lava. This still made no difference, and I'd splintered all the wood I had into shrapnel already and my hammer hand was definitely done for the day.

What next? I read a thread about someone saying they took off their whole swing arm and took it to someone to press it out. That seemed utterly insane, so I came up with a plan and bought some threaded pipe and some nuts from good old Tool Station for 8, and about 15 minutes later I had assembled this contraption.

It only bloody worked and eventually I managed to pull the axle through by about an inch or two, clearly breaking any corrosion and finally freeing it from it's clampy prison.

... but no. It's still totally impossible to move with any other method, and it's not possible for me to continue using my twisted invention, because the nut at the other end will get pulled into the swing arm and eventually spacers / bearings. So now I am at a stand still.

My question is ..... what the hell is going on? Surely this can't just be a bit of corrosion, as it would've moved freely after I'd broken the initial corrosion. Could it be warped somehow? I can rotate the axle freely now it's out a bit, and the spacers seem to move with it, but other than that it seems ok. Most importantly, does anyone have any suggestions for stage two of my franken-tool-kit? I suppose I now need to make some sort of puller to pull on the flanged edges of the part of the axle I have got out? All suggestions gratefully received.  :027: :001:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:09:43 PM by Fallout »

Online beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Re: Another rear axle thread ...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
Amazing. I would be careful or expect damage to bearings, bearing bores etc. using so much power. Of course I see you have gradually increased the threats of violence. How about returning it to original position, taking a fresh look. I would use a brass drift to drive it out rather than a puller. Do a careful inspection of your bearings too. It has to come out of there. Lots of neversieze going back together. Nut off, they come out, got to be corrosion. Maybe get a shop to make you a drift of the correct OD and a pilot OD that fits inside the axle to guide it all. Please keep us up to date, this is nasty.

Offline Fallout

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »
Cheers Breech. I think I'm definitely out of violent threats and it wasn't intimidated by me anyway.  :001: The drift is a good idea.  :002: Maybe it will come out with some hammering now, although I tried something similar after getting it out as far as pic 2 and the hammer fist wasn't working still. Maybe I can find another axle or pipe with the same diameter to keep using the threaded bar method and pull that in behind the axle.  :027:

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
As the OP of the other thread, I understand your frustration. I actually thought about going down the puller route, but was too concerned about the possibility of doing some serious damage to try it. If you want to carry on that way, I guess you could try to find some pipe of a similar diameter to the axle bolt and use it as a spacer under the puller nut. However, there are all sorts of possibilities that this would snag on your wheel bearings / bearing seats and do more harm than good.

I wish I could offer you a panacea, but as we know, I chickened out and left it to my local tyre shop because I trust their skill and experience over my ability to apply mindless violence...

Offline Fallout

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
Hi Simon. Yeah, I don't blame you for taking it to a shop. And you're right about the damage an additional pipe could do on the pulling side as it goes in. Plus it might get itself wedged in there too. Perhaps if sits inside the other pipe, it might work, like the drift Breech mentioned, but hollow so I can pass my threaded rod through it.  :155: I think I favour the idea of trying to grip onto the flange on the axle end somehow, and pull it out from the one side. Wish I had a good shop near me I could rely on, then I'd probably have done what you did. The ones near me always seem to return the bike in a worse state than when I gave it to them.  :027:

Offline Fallout

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
Finally got it out today after much swearing and threatening language. I found a nut which was smaller than the diameter of the axle and used my franken-puller to drag the bar most of the way through. Then I was able to screw the threaded bar back along and bang on the end with a hammer.

I tried reinserting the axle into the various holey things (aka spacers, brake mount etc) and it went through them fine, but it wouldn't go back into the bearings, so they were the problem. There was a tiny bit of corrosion, but not that much really. After cleaning them up and the axle with some WD40, the axle actually slid in pretty easily with some gentle wiggling. So what I think happened is, the tolerance between axle and bearing is super low. Like the width of a mosquito's bikini ... thinner even, if that's possible. Whatever grease was on there maybe was too viscous or something, and caused it to bind. Having said that, it was totally brown like mud, so it's entirely possible the previous owner lubricated it literally with mud. I'll never know.

So what I think I'm gonna do is buy some new bearing, since I set these ones on fire during phase 1, and then see what the tolerance is like. If it's super tight again, I'll go for some skinny diet grease. Anyone know what should be used? Normally I just stick Carlube LM-2 on axles.  :187:

Offline GSUS969

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Des Moines
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 06:59:55 PM »
I use Valvoline SynPower synthetic automotive grease and have had very good results.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
I stick with Optimol TA recommended in the service manual.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/assembling-paste/18219062599/

Online beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:56:55 PM »
I'm with BillB, don't use grease. Use Optomol or similar anti seize paste. The grease can dry out and turn to glue if left too long or gets hot.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Optimal TA seems to be surprisingly difficult to find on this side of the pond (at least for sensible money). After a good poke around on the interweb, Ive just ordered some from Motobins.

Recent Posts/Topics