Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hand off bars (cruise) - tracking straight or drifts to side?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline DeltaHotel

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: NC, USA
Hand off bars (cruise) - tracking straight or drifts to side?
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »
I have a 2018 w/ stock exhaust, and I find that if I take hands off bars (using cruise), it tends to drift to the right.  It's possible to offset with some rather significant shift of weight to the left. It's not crown of road, and it's not body position. I've verified the rear wheel alignment, and bike is new (never dropped or crashed) so forks are fine. Wheels are balanced, tires are in very good shape, no obvious issues there.

Curious, what's your experience?  Does your S1000R track straight if you let go?

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Hand off bars (cruise) - tracking straight or drifts to side?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
Yep, dead true (on a decent road surface) , I try and ride the last mile or so home with the cruise on, no handed, for no real reason , just amuses me!

Offline VolvoWrench

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Aptos, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »
My 15 drifted right. Very noticeably.

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 04:49:30 AM »
Are you allowing for the camber of the road? Im assuming that your roads are built such that there is a crownin the centre of the road, to promote water/debris to get into the side-channels via gravity.

Offline samgab

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by DeltaHotel [+]
I have a 2018 w/ stock exhaust, and I find that if I take hands off bars (using cruise), it tends to drift to the right.  It's possible to offset with some rather significant shift of weight to the left. It's not crown of road, and it's not body position. I've verified the rear wheel alignment, and bike is new (never dropped or crashed) so forks are fine. Wheels are balanced, tires are in very good shape, no obvious issues there.

Curious, what's your experience?  Does your S1000R track straight if you let go?

Yeah, I was actually experimenting with this just the other day. My 2018 pulls to the right, and I have to sit on the left of the seat and lean my weight to the left to continue in a straight line. No camber involved, I don't think, as I was on a pretty wide highway at the time in a centre lane that should've been relatively flat.

Edit: Earlier in the year I toured quite extensively on a 2017 R1200GS Triple Black, and I would rest my arms for long periods of time with cruise control set and no hands on the bars, and that GS tracked as straight as an arrow with my weight centred, and I could go round gentle curves in the road easily by shifting my weight a little. It was fantastic. My new S1000R, by contrast, demonstrates a marked pull to the right when my weight is centred, and when I try to compensate for that by moving my weight, I can get it right with a little trial and error, but it's quite jumpy and will roll off centre very easily. I put that down to the more sporty nature of the bike and the different rake angle, trail, etc. Could also be to do with the GS having the fancy Telelever front suspenders.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:35:14 PM by samgab »

Offline V1 Rotate

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 2015
  • City / Town: Montral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
My 17 does the same. I've checked the alignement multiple times using the swing arm marks and a motion pro alignment tool. It seems the marks are a tiny bit off on mine when the motion pro alignment tool is perfectly straight. Even then it still pulls right.

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
This has been discussed a few times. One of the causes can be the clutch cable routing. I removed the clamp on the yoke securing the cable over 2 years ago & it has tracked straight ever since.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:16:55 PM by S1rdek »

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
I got an '18 and it drifts off to right, hard.

Offline Jon_Dong

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r (16)
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 02:44:35 PM »
Mine does a little bit to the right. Can't say i notice it unless i'm sat up with hands off the bars.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor