Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?  (Read 3966 times)

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 11:08:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
All I can say is I am not impressed with BMW or my local dealer, I took my bike in over a month and a half ago to have it checked because of the infamous water pump leak.  It took 3 weeks for BMW to authorize the repair under warranty and another 3 weeks for the part to come in.  The dealer said they ordered a gasket, but I'm pretty sure the leak is not from the gasket, but from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump housing.

Took my XR in last Friday for the dealer to inspect the Waterpump leak, I think the warranty was authorised Fri or Sat, replacement pump arrived yesterday(thursday). I guess it is up to the dealer and one's relationship with them.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
I service my bikes myself which takes out most of the costs. Or you can go to a trusted mechanic who will be cheaper than BMW

The thing is, I do my own oil and filter changes between services, do my own brake servicing and drive chain replacement. Aside from air filters what other servicing is there to do ?

Any suspension servicing would probably go to a shop (oil replacement / seals) as USDs are outside my skill and tool set.

Its purely about service stamps and warranty.

Lets be honest, except for the more exceptionally talented amongst us, fixing a complex electronic fault or an engine component is not going to be cheap even with non-BM labour charges.

Im not sure my local independent bike shop has the skills, software and tools to resolve a top flight post-2014 bike with full electronics, even if they can rebuild a complete less sophisticated bike.

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Pro
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR, FZ1
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »
Electronics I agree. Modern cars have it worse ...
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline knave

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »
I think forums often provide a pessimistic view of a specific model, the reasons why have already been completely explored and explained ITT. Reading this forum you would certainly think almost every bike is blighted by certain issues however I know several people who own an s1000r and several who own an RR and theyve never had any of the common issues highlighted to my knowledge, so I for one wouldve harboured a pessimistic view had I relied on forums.

As for a second hand s1000r being similar to buying a handgrenade I dont see a second hand s1000r as any more of a problem than any other modern performance or adventure bike (that, in itself, may have been the posters point). All modern super nakeds, sports bikes (Im not talking about 400s that are called sports bikes here) and adventure bikes are bristling with tech that would cost a fortune if it went wrong. If that means they fall dramatically in price on the second hand market (which we havent seen yet), then surely we all win as well be able to pick up bargain second hand bikes like R1Ms, s1000Rs, ZX10s, KTM Super Adventures, etc. I think the reality is that they wont be so unreliable as to be completely unviable as second hand bikes as this is surely bad business for the bike firms?

Cheapest s1000r I could see here in the UK you could probably get for around 6k thats 14 plate with circa 35k miles on it, I dont think that constitutes a nosedive in value over any other bike really, the 2014 was only just over 11k brand new.

Chin up boys, you've bought a cracker!! :)

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Pro
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR, FZ1
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 05:19:01 PM »
I can understand you having a sour taste but that doesn't apply to others. Sorry for your personal experiences but you simply cannot generalize.

*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
The thing is, I do my own oil and filter changes between services, do my own brake servicing and drive chain replacement. Aside from air filters what other servicing is there to do ?

Any suspension servicing would probably go to a shop (oil replacement / seals) as USDs are outside my skill and tool set.

Its purely about service stamps and warranty.

Lets be honest, except for the more exceptionally talented amongst us, fixing a complex electronic fault or an engine component is not going to be cheap even with non-BM labour charges.

Im not sure my local independent bike shop has the skills, software and tools to resolve a top flight post-2014 bike with full electronics, even if they can rebuild a complete less sophisticated bike.

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Dont get me wrong - its a fantastic bike ! I cant find anything to compare ! Like most bikers Ive been on many other forums related to bikes I own and the mechanical issues have been fairly minor, less frequent and generally easy fixes. I totally agree with the electronics issues now being a common Achilles heel in modern vehicles - I looked at this forum before buying and knew there was some dice rolling - and low and behold canchain and coolant issues are by far the most common - the earlier issues of the bike eating its cams seem to be subsiding - without doubt though, this bike has given me the busiest forum with reliability issues by far and also some individual issues that have been experienced by quite a few others. So yes, lets not overstate it, but lets not understate it either ! A lot of riders do less than 3-4K a year and maybe only keep the bike for a couple of years - I though like a few others want to ride all year round and put on the miles, so garage time should only be servicing and consumables plus tlc !
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:25:08 PM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Yes, that much we can agree on.

As you ask, my (new) bike was delivered with a faulty side/rad moulding, which was ordered at the first service a couple of weeks ago, now Saturday just past(at 2 months and 850 miles old, the ABS light came on ,permanently . I thought originally id switched the ABS off by accident but no.

Shame as on the Sunday id planned a 3 day mini tour around East Anglia, luckily my Mrs 1500 17 year old CBR600 never fails to start and perform so I took that instead ..I'll let you know what BMW say as its going in later this week.

Just to add to this, whilst cleaning the bike this afternoon I noticed some water marks on my cat box and side of the engine,  didnt think too much of it as id ridden some damp roads yesterday but then I noticed some of the water was blue, sure enough, the water pump would appear to be leaking.

Its lost enough for the level to be well below the minimum on the expansion bottle.

2 and a bit months ownership of a new bike and 3 issues may be acceptable to some but ill be back to a jap bike again when the PCP deal allows , as great as it is to ride, i'm pleased I don't own it anyway.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:24:56 PM by podders »

Offline zombie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »
Yeah I had my 2017 in to have the leaking water pump fixed Friday, they replaced the gasket and lo and behold, 2 days later it's spitting drops of coolant again.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
Just this week we have a guy on another thread whose bike has eaten its camchain and possibly cams (6 months old) and another guy on another forum with an XR who made 4 miles from new before it went dead (switchgear and loom replacement which I envisage are similar if not the same parts as the R).

On the CB1000R forum I think we had half a dozen stator failures (most fixed under extended warranty for that part) in about 5 years and the odd TPS causing the bike not to start - this forum has a wide range of international members but it still seems to be proportionally living up to the BM reputation.  A lot of bikes posted, 30, 40, 50k miles + mileages

Online windyrun

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »
The oem cam chain tensioner does seem to be an achilles heel. I've read here (somewhere) there is a bulletin of sorts for dealers to change it at 10K miles or something there abouts since it will "stretch"  :033:. Then again before 20K miles. I plan on putting a manual cam chain tensioner on at some point since those that have gone that path say it works well with many miles.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:21:07 PM by windyrun »

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor