Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?  (Read 4307 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jeff

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: bmw s1000r sport
  • City / Town: orpington
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
I had cb1000r great bike 24k miles just oil change ect . went to k1300s great bike just too heavy as i'm an old fart .Looking at whats on the market mt10 looks like it's been thrown together didn't fancy the triumph dull colours not a kwacka fan again suzuki build quality plus the bm has all the rider aids which you don't need till you need em .I really like the s1000.

Offline zombie

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 493
  • Country: ca
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 01:47:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
It probably doesnt help that the R has a very mechanical sounding engine too, which can be a source of concern even if nothing is wrong.

Agricultural would be the word I would use... damned thing sounds like a tractor compared to my 11 year old R1.

Offline nrthrnbkr

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 411
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by jeff [+]
I had cb1000r great bike 24k miles just oil change ect . went to k1300s great bike just too heavy as i'm an old fart .Looking at whats on the market mt10 looks like it's been thrown together didn't fancy the triumph dull colours not a kwacka fan again suzuki build quality plus the bm has all the rider aids which you don't need till you need em .I really like the s1000.


Completely agree - I had the CB1000R - bought it second hand with 3k miles on and put 30k miles on it over 4 years - never missed a beat - Home serviced and really it just needed oil changes and consumables - still performed and looked great when I sold it - Im still a superMod on the bike forum and truthfully the only notable (possibly common) mechanical issue is a known fault with the stator on some early bikes (a hangover from the Blade motor) - easily fixed and a DIY job for around 200 tops - thats it.

On one side the bike isnt as complex as the BM and is just ABS and FI - but as a rider I had absolutely no worries about running that bike - the BM though just leaves a slight air of anxious uncertainty and possible inconvenience !

Im considering changing bikes and brands but nothing else floats my boat !
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:51:25 PM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline podders

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 162
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
I did nearly buy a MT10 and joined the MT10 forum , never posted but even taking into account the fact the BMW has been on sale for longer than the BMW, there is no doubt in my mind Yamaha owners have bought a more reliable,better built bike, its only a snap shot but major engine issues seem to be a real rarity, there wasnt anything about clutch cables snapping, the plethora of electrical issues(granted the Yam hasnt quite the same level of electronics, SP model excluded p'haps) and  switchgear issues didnt come up from what I could see(now I have had my bike a few months, I particularly dislike the cheap nasty switchgear, it almost feels like its made from the same stuff some washing up bowls are made from)

As some one alluded to above, you wouldnt want to buy a S1000R privately without a warranty thats for sure, I know I wouldnt and wont be keeping mine past 2 years I think.

Personally, im not bothered about engine noise, every GSXR ive had has been mechanically noisy but always rock solid, the only engine ive thought was quiet had an over tightened camchain (manual tensioner installed)and the valves receding in the heads!

Lets hope BMW pop into the odd forum and read these comments, will only help us and future owners in the long run.


Offline Owen2737

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: ie
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Draperstown NI
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »
Kept an eye on this forum for a while before I bought my S1kr.Although some issues were highlighted it didn't put me off buying 1.I've owned most marques of bikes over the years and been lucky enough to never have had any major issues.Hopefully this will continue with the BMW.If you worried about every issue highlighted in a forum,you would probably never buy any bike.At the end of the day buy it,ride it,if it breaks,fix it! Simples :008:

Offline VARRAKK

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Country: se
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »
I signed up here because I had Quickshifter/Cruise Control issues after switching levers.

Both my '17 & '18 S1KR's been without faults.
According to my dealer, these bikes have very little problems.
And I have no doubt BMW is among the best manufacturers.

Offline SimonS1KR

  • S1000R Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 523
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
I did nearly buy a MT10 and joined the MT10 forum , never posted but even taking into account the fact the BMW has been on sale for longer than the BMW, there is no doubt in my mind Yamaha owners have bought a more reliable,better built bike, its only a snap shot but major engine issues seem to be a real rarity, there wasnt anything about clutch cables snapping, the plethora of electrical issues(granted the Yam hasnt quite the same level of electronics, SP model excluded p'haps) and  switchgear issues didnt come up from what I could see(now I have had my bike a few months, I particularly dislike the cheap nasty switchgear, it almost feels like its made from the same stuff some washing up bowls are made from)

As some one alluded to above, you wouldnt want to buy a S1000R privately without a warranty thats for sure, I know I wouldnt and wont be keeping mine past 2 years I think.

Personally, im not bothered about engine noise, every GSXR ive had has been mechanically noisy but always rock solid, the only engine ive thought was quiet had an over tightened camchain (manual tensioner installed)and the valves receding in the heads!

Lets hope BMW pop into the odd forum and read these comments, will only help us and future owners in the long run.

You should probably hope that dealers and private buyers dont read this forum. You basically just said that S1KRs are such hand grenades that theyre a bad buy once the warranty runs out after 2 years. So dealers should give you a lousy part ex and private buyers shouldnt touch your bike with a barge pole. Good luck with sale when the time comes!  :038:

Agree about the switch gear. As one of your main interfaces with the bike, BMW could spend a little more money there to give the R a much higher quality feel.

Offline podders

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 162
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
You should probably hope that dealers and private buyers dont read this forum. You basically just said that S1KRs are such hand grenades that theyre a bad buy once the warranty runs out after 2 years. So dealers should give you a lousy part ex and private buyers shouldnt touch your bike with a barge pole. Good luck with sale when the time comes!  :038:

Agree about the switch gear. As one of your main interfaces with the bike, BMW could spend a little more money there to give the R a much higher quality feel.

Thats the facts of it mate, I dont think I went quite as bad as hand grenades thou...would you have prefered me to lie in answer to the thread?...or even better, for the thread to not have been started in the first place.

Its a fair summary of owners issues ive read on here and elsewhere, to be fair, I already knew BMW S1 bikes did not enjoy a good reputation for build quality and reliability anyway, im just more enlightened as to why now. its BMW that should be most concerned, im not overly worried how much I lose on it, I wouldnt have bought one if that was a major factor, I hope I havent lost you to much of your resale mate.. :012:

Offline windyrun

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 434
  • Country: us
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »
Title of this thread should be "do forums give a pessimistic view of ANY bike". I read a couple of forums kinda like I used to read magazines - for entertainment and I like to learn about bikes.

Many ... most posts and threads are started by people looking for help either with how to customize their bike or how to resolve an issue that their dealer can't figure out (or created by accident).

This calling for help with issues leads forum posts to paint a baised picture of faults. This is true with honda, yamahas, as well as with ducati, triumph, bmw, ktm, etc.

Personally, I think the biggest risk with buying a motorcycle is finding a dealer conveniently located that can be relied on to fix it the same way a car dealer can be relied on to fix things and in a reasonable time frame (days not weeks or months  :033: if ever).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:29:19 PM by windyrun »

Offline SimonS1KR

  • S1000R Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 523
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Do forums like this lead to an unduly pessimistic view of the s1000r?
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Thats the facts of it mate, I dont think I went quite as bad as hand grenades thou...would you have prefered me to lie in answer to the thread?...or even better, for the thread to not have been started in the first place.

Its a fair summary of owners issues ive read on here and elsewhere, to be fair, I already knew BMW S1 bikes did not enjoy a good reputation for build quality and reliability anyway, im just more enlightened as to why now. its BMW that should be most concerned, im not overly worried how much I lose on it, I wouldnt have bought one if that was a major factor, I hope I havent lost you to much of your resale mate.. :012:


Ive no problem with these threads, no matter how many times people want to rake over the same ground. By their nature theyre full of opinions, mostly based on stuff people have read rather than experienced. Its just good to put these things into reasonable perspective.

Youve read a bunch of threads on here and formed an opinion that S1KRs must be inherently unreliable. I think we can all be confident theyre not as reliable as Japanese bikes, but I dont think theyre all going to become high risk after 2 years.

My bike is 3.5 years old, has done 12K miles and has taken me to the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites so far. The only issue Ive had was with the LH switchgear, replaced under warranty, its not the best quality as you say. Whats your experience so far?

 


Recent Posts/Topics