Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ebay scammer?  (Read 317 times)

Offline ParkingLotRossi

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 17 BMW S1000R
ebay scammer?
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:31:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to sell something on ebay and get a message from someone regarding one of the items. I check out the persons profile and red flag number 1 pops up "Member since Aug 9, 2018". The same day that the item is listed for sale... hmm ok maybe just a coincidence..

So this new member messages me asking to text him, during this the person says things like "I wouldv'e preferred to call you but I have hearing problems etc (probably a red flag here) but I don't mind as much since I'd prefer to text as well.. so everything seems to be going ok when the person then states that he would give me xxx amount of deposit and to send the other half to a "shipping" company.

When I ask if the person has paypal, the person does not answer the question... (at this point I've probably already answered my question..) big red flag signs here... I basically kinda just stop talking to the person at this point... the person also states that they would send me their drivers license to prove "that they are real". I ask the person if they have paypal again and again I get no answer, I then just say "brb" and havent talked to the person since.

So scam or not? The answer is probably obvious at this point but just wanting to get thoughts.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • S1000R Pro
Re: ebay scammer?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
I buy and sell loads of things on ebay, even bought cars blind without seeing them (all good btw).

However, I'm very careful about who I buy/sell to. Unless, they have a good history over a decent period then I don't even consider them.

Sending part money to shipping companies is a big red flag in my book. And no Paypal ... hmmm...

That probably answers your question....  :001:

Offline ParkingLotRossi

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
I buy and sell loads of things on ebay, even bought cars blind without seeing them (all good btw).

However, I'm very careful about who I buy/sell to. Unless, they have a good history over a decent period then I don't even consider them.

Sending part money to shipping companies is a big red flag in my book. And no Paypal ... hmmm...

That probably answers your question....  :001:

Yea I've usually been a buyer and this is my first time trying to sell something on ebay... oh well hopefully I will get some bites from more legit people soon.

Offline VolvoWrench

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Aptos, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »
I buy and sell a lot of things too. I've never ever had someone contact me and want to "talk" via text or cell phone. Person doesn't want to go via pay pal and wants the money sent via a shipping service? Scam-o-Rama.

Offline ParkingLotRossi

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
I haven't heard back from the person, I think they got the hint that I figured out they weren't legit

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor