Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DDC Saga/Nightmare Continues  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2006;GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
DDC Saga/Nightmare Continues
« on: August 04, 2018, 05:56:15 AM »
I few weeks ago I posted in this forum regarding a problem I was having with my 2018 S1000R DDC system. 

To recap: I made changes to the front and rear preload to set the sag without having the ignition on.  Once this mistake was realized,the sag was set properly, however when I rode the bike the DDC system did not work.  There was no feeling in either road or dynamic setting.   I took the bike to my dealer and they recalibrated the DDC system but it had no effect.  The dealer contacted BMW NA and they did a remote diagnostic test, reset my entire bikes system which included a software update and it worked!  I rode the bike for about 5 miles and felt the DDC working.   HOWEVER, the next time I took the bike out the DDC quit working.   Completely frustrated with this situation and so is the dealer.  They are now going to contact BMW again and try to figure the problem out.  No faults have come up at anytime, which makes this even more baffling. 

HAS ANYONE ON THIS SITE HAD ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE AND IF SO, WHAT WAS THE FIX?

Offline Heapy

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Normanhurst
Re: DDC Saga/Nightmare Continues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:17:28 AM »
Whats it actually doing? Does it just go stiff, like when the ignition is off?
I really dont believe what you did (adjust preload adjusters with ign off) being responsible for a fault. Thats a mechanical adjustment. Worst case would have been an incorrect setting for you.

Offline injuryian

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: WOKING
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »
The preload won't be affected buy adjustment with ign off, it's only the damping that's electronicly controlled.

I have to ask what bike you came from? I've come from a Multistrada and although the BMW's suspension is good, it's got nothing on the 'strada. Handicapped by its lack of travel the BMW's is either stiff or very stiff. But a noticeable difference between road and dynamic.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
The preload is a bit of a blunt instrument in my view - theres a sweet spot (depending on your weight) where the DDC offers good performance or if theres just too much preload the suspension becomes harsh. Get it right and theres plenty of fork travel and you know the suspension is working. I came from an Ohlins (aftermarket) featured bike and I can say the S1R performs well on the road. Im not a light rider !

Some riders wind the preload right up, but I set a compromise with not too many turns front and back to avoid the suspension getting too hard.

So my view is that you wont feel the DDC working, you will just have a balanced ride, a bike that doesnt get upset when pushed and generally compliant suspension.

If you have cranked up the preload, back it all off front and back and start again. Not sure if this helps ?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:06:08 AM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 10:06:01 AM »
Before we get too far off track about what preload is or does, it doesnt make your suspension stiffer / harder / softer because it doesnt change the spring or damping rates. So, all were trying to do is give the DDC a fair chance to do its job by setting the median position (sag) of the suspension to the correct point in the available travel such that it neither tops out or bottoms out over irregularities in the road.

Im not sure whats going on with the OPs bike, but it doesnt sound like its anything to do with preload or the way it was adjusted without the ignition on.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
It does sound like a more complicated issue - point above was about adding a lot of preload can make the DDC seem harsh. I think the main point though is that if the DDC is doing its job, you dont notice it and the bike just handles ?

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
Totally agree, when you dont notice the suspension, its doing the right job.

I also reckon that if you could damage the suspension by adjusting the preload with the ignition switched off, then BMW would put a very large warning about it in the owners manual. Actually, theyd probably make it a dealer-only adjustment.

To me, given that the DDC worked temporarily after BMWs intervention, it sounds like the OP has a faulty sensor, control unit or actuator in his DDC system - but Im not sure why this wouldnt throw a fault code.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
As I've said before, DDC on my bike makes little or no difference...  if you're that magical (european) rider who weighs 80kg with gear, maybe you might notice, or maybe you wouldn't, I've no idea. 

I've checked for codes with MotoScan, so I assume the system is working, I just find there's little to no difference between road and dynamic.

If I could go back in time, I would definitely never buy DDC again.

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2006;GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »
Thank you for all your replies.   I agree that it is highly unlikely that I damaged anything when I first adjusted the preload. And I put a zip tie on the fork to see how much travel Im using and it stops about 1.5 from the bottom of the fork, so no problem there.   

The reason why I bought the bike is that one of my close riding friends bought a 2016 S1000R.  I had the chance to ride it for about 30 miles.  The bike was amazing, and the suspension nothing like anything I have ever ridden before.  Set in Dynamic Mode and Hard/Sport DDC, the bike was glued to the road.  I loved it and went out and bought a 2018 S1000R.  My other bikes are a 2006 GSXR 1000 with full Ohlins front and rear, a 2016 Triumph Street Triple and a 2006 FJR 1300. 

For the first 1000 miles the bike was wonderful.   Now I cant feel the DDC working at all.  But when it was operating correctly, I could definitely feel the difference between Road and Dynamic.  For those posting that they cant feel any difference, maybe they need to check to see if their bikes are working properly.   

Just one other thing I want to make sure of:  The DDC system does allow for you to change between Road and Dynamic while you are riding/moving.  Do I have this correct?

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Yes you can change between road and dynamic on the move, I believe it is the same as the riding modes, you just have to roll off the throttle for it to change.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor