Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Honda Confused?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline StandrewsX

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
New Honda Confused?
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Performance bike magazine thinks the Neo Sports Cafe is as confuddled as its name!

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: New Honda Confused?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
I did view the bike at the NEC show and it was pretty clear then it wasnt a contender or rival for an S1000/MT etc supernaked and as the article says, not that much of a looker to choose over the Z900/R9T either.

Maybe one day they'll do a stripped down fireblade and that will be worth considering.

Offline kn58

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
 I test rode this bike and believe me it's one of the harshest engine braking iv ever experienced.
 It's atleast 3 years behind the competition in terms of electronics and other technology.
And don't forget that it has a 10 year old detuned engine.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »
I test rode this bike and believe me it's one of the harshest engine braking iv ever experienced.
 It's atleast 3 years behind the competition in terms of electronics and other technology.
And don't forget that it has a 10 year old detuned engine.

I agree, the Fireblade engine is a peach IMO but boy, in that detuned config it really is harsh and not happy.

Honda never really sold many of the previous CB1000R models, like the article says they should be bolder and grow a pair.....

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
I agree, the Fireblade engine is a peach IMO but boy, in that detuned config it really is harsh and not happy.

Honda never really sold many of the previous CB1000R models, like the article says they should be bolder and grow a pair.....

Looking at How Many Left there are over 1000 CB1Rs on the road compared to the S1Rs 2k - so considered, thats not too bad.

I had the old model - pretty analogue (non ABS) but very refined with superb, smooth bottom end power and turbine like delivery - I spent some money on suspension and it transformed the bike into what it should be.

I waited for the new CB hoping itd be a new gen 999cc motor, but could not believe that they basically just updated the old bikes platform, added electronics and just a few bhp. But the styling ? Im not sure what they were thinking.

The CB1R was mega reliable and just needed basic servicing which gives it big points over the S1R.

But from a riding experience perspective, the S1R is incredible.

Honda have blown it and the PB review above rips off the emperors clothes and sets right gushing press reviews off the back of fully catered international press launches !

Offline StandrewsX

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
Looking at How Many Left there are over 1000 CB1Rs on the road compared to the S1Rs 2k - so considered, thats not too bad.

However the CB has been on sale considerably longer than the S1R so not outstanding.

I share the magazines opinion that it has no identity. It's not the awesome retro rework that is the "Z900rs" and neither is it a Super naked. So where does that position it, at its price and let's face it who's going to buy the "budget" bike, 12,300 is a lot of cash for a bike with the bells and whistles that does nothing apparently very competently. All you hear about in the reviews is how good the fit and finish are, not how stunning it looks! A recent convert from the CB to the S1R commented how the build quality compared. Who thought a huge no. plate hanger fixed to the swinging arm was a good idea? They look shocking even on good looking bikes. Even with some of the aftermarket parts available it still doesn't look right.

Some compare it to the R9T and Z9rs but it has none of the style those bikes possess, others place it in the Super/naked bracket but it has none of the style those possess.

If only the other Japanese manufacturers would follow Kawasakis lead, could you imagine modern CB900, GSX1100 and XS1... no let's forget the Yamaha!!

Who knows Honda may have sold another 1k units in another 10 years, just 1 won't be to me.

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
1k isnt total sales - its UK taxed on the road at the point of count - so overall sales would be much higher - a lot of models dont sell big UK numbers including brands like Aprilia (very low numbers) and Ducati. The out going CB1R was popular in Europe where the bulk of its sales occurred. Ultimately its not the sales that make a good bike - the old CB finish was better than the S1R especially over time and reliability wise, the S1R is pretty shocking.

The point of the article though was that the new CB1R is generally disappointing when it actually comes to using it.  Who knows they may have something brewing for 2020 ? Both the new Blade and new CB1R seem like stop gaps (slight evolutions).

Offline StandrewsX

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
1k isnt total sales - its UK taxed on the road at the point of count - so overall sales would be much higher - a lot of models dont sell big UK numbers including brands like Aprilia (very low numbers) and Ducati. The out going CB1R was popular in Europe where the bulk of its sales occurred. Ultimately its not the sales that make a good bike - the old CB finish was better than the S1R especially over time and reliability wise, the S1R is pretty shocking.

The point of the article though was that the new CB1R is generally disappointing when it actually comes to using it.  Who knows they may have something brewing for 2020 ? Both the new Blade and new CB1R seem like stop gaps (slight evolutions).

So why quote figures if they're not accurate for either bike? However, if only 1k are taxed and on the road after 10 years speaks volumes. The Old CB should have been reliable having only the power of a 600, no one complains of heat from a CB, unless the stator is about to fail!! Seeing as the Neo Sports Cafe uses the same motor with a little more power, I can only assume it will suffer from the same issue. This weakness probably makes it as reliable as an Aprilia! 2 years of owning an S1R and no problems which couldn't be said of my previous Honda or Aprilia.

The Neo Sports Cafe is very disappointing given what owners of old CBS have been asking Honda to give them for many years, a "Striking Supernaked". I doubt this is a stop gap. It just proves they don't listen and haven't got a clue what we want!

Offline jeff

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: bmw s1000r sport
  • City / Town: orpington
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
sadly i can only agree i had a12 plate cb1000r i really liked it but as has been said no mods in 10yrs went for something different .

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
Honda has been behind the ball on their sport (and sporty) bikes for decades...  The "new" (let's just call it "new look", since that's mostly what it is) CB1000R is a half-assed update.  They put lipstick on a pig, and pretend they've reinvented the wheel.

Honda makes the majority of their money off of low price, high volume bikes, and they know it.  They couldn't care less about keeping up with the competition, IMO.

If the new CB1000R was around the price of a Z900RS or MT09, it'd have an excuse for putting out 9 horsepower more than the outgoing CBR600RR.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor