Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MT10 test ride  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Mike150

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ballynahinch
MT10 test ride
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:50:03 AM »
Had a good test ride on one with an idea of change. Conclusions -

It loves to wheelie, the easiest bike I've ever been on to wheelie since my WR450 supermoto! However I think it must just be a shorter wheelbase than the R as it has the same power.

It doesn't have the same racey feel as the S1000R as the gearbox has more travel between shifts, the quick shifter is not as..............eh................quick! The bike feels a little bigger, softer and slower to turn.

The suspension is a bit softer than the soft setting on the R and that I like because I think the R is too hard for the road even in soft. I use normal for track and never hard mode.

The engine is not as flexible as it doesn't like  pulling below 3000rpm, it's very like a twin. I found myself being in 3rd and 4th gear where on the R I'd be in 5th or 6th. I don't think it's any slower than the R but it feels it and it doesn't have the power everywhere in the rev range the way the R does. The fuelling is not as smooth and the throttle is a little snatchy in traffic.

Bars are a little higher and the seat is about the same for lack of comfort! Pegs are a bit lower.

The MT10 is better for not having vibes the way the R does and not having crazy heat build up and I like the easy wheelies but I don't think it's a better or worse bike, just a different softer option.

Not sure it's worth the expense of changing.

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: MT10 test ride
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:40 AM »
Ive too biking trips this summer and theyve been blighted by worry over the bike - the camchain is noisier but dismissed by the dealer - its gone noisier and now starts making the big noise on start up - enough that I now notice when riding.

The rad (cap I think) is now leaking a little and spraying out fluid - not a lot but it shouldnt be any - Im off to Ireland soon but am struggling to get the bike in.

No bike Ive had (and most have been home serviced) have been that bad - this is less than 2 years old.

For that reason alone Im looking at other bikes that will provide relatively worry free riding. Bummer is the BM is the best actual riding experience out there.

Talk about souring the milk - MT10 SP looks the nearest replacement material.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:39:16 AM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 09:47:24 AM »
I tested the MT10 '17 back to back vs S1kR '16.
There is a reason why the Yamaha is cheaper.

Throttle response and brake feeling is significantly better on the BMW.
Everything else is also a few notches up in quality. But I do think the MT10 vibed less, lot less.
In the end it comes down to personal preferences and your wallet.

Never owned a Yamaha, so I don't know about their dealership services.
But BMW's got premium service, and to me that is very important.
Whenever I have put a bike into service, it's never been a question about do I want a loaner bike.
It's which bike do you want to ride today?

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
They are good points but I dont want a bike that leans heavily on its warranty and has to be kept going back for known fault repairs - also when servicing I was asked to pay for a basic courtesy bike - otherwise it was good service but all these other things are uneccessary

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by VARRAKK [+]
I tested the MT10 '17 back to back vs S1kR '16.
There is a reason why the Yamaha is cheaper.

Strangely, they cost more or less the same where I live...

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Strangely, they cost more or less the same where I live...

....and I paid less for my S1000 than the MT10 a few weeks back, haggle hard folks.

Offline jeff

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: bmw s1000r sport
  • City / Town: orpington
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »
WHAT ABOUT THE NEW CB1000R?

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by jeff [+]
WHAT ABOUT THE NEW CB1000R?

Not even in the same class as the MT10 and S1000R, imo.  It's a hipster bike, not a super-naked.

Offline MeloS1000r

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R 2017
  • City / Town: Coimbra
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
I have tested an MT10Sp and a Superduke, owning a 2017 s1kr.

I thinks they are exceptional bikes, but the S1kr is just a better overall package for me...

In Portugal, you can have a S1kr with all the factory extras except the wheels, for 15.000, but an MT10Sp starts at 16.000 and a Superduke will go all the way to 17/18.000 depending on extras.

Sooo... I think its a clear win for the S1kr in all parameters  :152:

Offline StandrewsX

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
I wouldn't change mine for anything at the moment. Even though the BMW, KTM and Aprilia have been around for some years there really is nothing that truly challenges them. I had an Aprilia (never again).  KTM, I don't do twins unless (sorry different twins). Which at the time left the MT10 or S1KR. The MT was Soggy didn't feel right and looked as if all the parts hadn't been fitted. The BMW felt right and indeed still is. Unfortunately a bad dealer sours ownership regardless of manufacturer trouble is you only find out how good or bad they are when you're already on a downer! The last 3 bikes I have owned (Honda, Aprilia and BMW) the only one that hasn't required any warranty work has been the BMW. :152:

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor