Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 won't start  (Read 8494 times)

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 s1kr sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: 2017 won't start
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Thanks Marvin.

Yes, it would be interesting to find out root cause; i.e. why a bike that was ridden 20 mins ago doesn't get fuel during ignition. 

Today, I just persevered with multiple attempts to start it.  Eventually, when the battery was clearly struggling, I rolled the bike backwards and into my garage ready to give up. A last attempt with mild throttle started it.

Aside: my bike was purchased around 13 months ago.  So, I am bracing for this to be not covered by warranty.

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by logularjason [+]
Thanks Marvin.

Yes, it would be interesting to find out root cause; i.e. why a bike that was ridden 20 mins ago doesn't get fuel during ignition. 

Today, I just persevered with multiple attempts to start it.  Eventually, when the battery was clearly struggling, I rolled the bike backwards and into my garage ready to give up. A last attempt with mild throttle started it.

Aside: my bike was purchased around 13 months ago.  So, I am bracing for this to be not covered by warranty.

Surely you get more than 1 year warranty?

Offline Marvin K.

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »
I'm having the heat shield installed as well so will see if that fixes the issue. Strange that it has only started happening in the last few months. I've had the bike since new (2015) and it's just started happening and then only sometimes. Typically when it's been running hot in congested traffic for a while. It's only been a bit of a nuisance of late, having left me stranded a couple of times now for 10-20 mins before it's cooled down enough to start. Battery has been checked and that's all fine.
If the heat shield did not work for you, Matt, I would be interested to know what they try next. It's not really something you can just ignore. I commute on it and it needs to be reliable (and it has been, up 'til now).

Offline Matt

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »
Heat shield did not work for me unfortunately, I have the bike back with no resolution at this stage, dealer said they have logged it with BMW and to bring it back if it happens again. It seems to be completely random and I am not sure how it is heat related as I have ridden in 45C days without any issues.

Marvin, how many km on your bike?

Offline Marvin K.

• S1000R Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »
My bike has done just over 35K km's with no issues until the last few months. I will try and note temperature and fuel levels when (if?) it happens after the heat shield is fitted. I agree that it does seem to be pretty random. It has never happened after fuelling up, for instance.

Offline Matt

• S1000R Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 11:53:32 PM »
Hasn't happened after refueling for me either, I noticed that each time it has happened the engine temp said 70C and wouldn't start again until it was in the ~50C range.

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 03:57:32 AM »
Gents, I'd like to team up with you guys to let BMW know you that this is not isolated case but emerging pattern.

I have not called yet - in Melbourne are you interacting with Southbank Motorrad, or Doncaster?    Got the name of the person who knows about it?

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
Thought I'd chime in again, the solution is a fuel pump replacement and the heat shielding. BMW is fully aware of the issue. A guy in the East with an XR had to jump through hoops before BMW finally agreed to replace the pump. He's got a YouTube vid and has good info on the XR forum about it. So push 'em and push hard friends. Go in there and demand a new pump - bloody demand it. You might find this will solve the cold start woes as well! Good luck to all of yo'. 

Offline Marvin K.

• S1000R Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
Thank you anoldman. That is very helpful. In response to your query logularjason, I am dealing with BMW Melbourne (used to be Southbank). They have been very good in terms of trying to sort it out. Heat shield is on order. I'll get that fitted and see how I go. If that doesn't work, I'll go back and see about a fuel pump.

My bike sounds a bit different to the vid's of other bikes I've watched. It will try to fire, then cough, and just stop. Nothing. The lights and all are on but it won't continue to turn the engine over. It will just cut out and go dead unless I hit the starter button again.

I will get a video of it next time it happens. Did it again just last night after the commute home. Engine was hot (106 degrees) and under half a tank of fuel.

Started again after about 5 or 6 goes at it.

Maybe it's just a bit different on the pre-'17 model.

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 03:22:13 AM »
My bike is booked for Tues 4th at Melbourne BMW to look at this issue.  I could not get any further than booking person, so unclear about proposed fix.  I did tell them that customers with both XR's and R's have presented bikes to this dealership with same issue.  I'll report back here.

She did look for recalls and advisories relating to 2017 S100R and nothing recorded.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor