Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 won't start  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Marvin K.

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: 2017 won't start
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 10:35:34 PM »
BMW Melbourne fitted the heat shield to my S1000R just last week. I'll find out soon enough whether it's fixed the issue. The non-start has happened once since but it did start within a minute after a few 'goes' at it. I don't really know, at this stage, whether it has helped or not.

I'll monitor it over the next couple of weeks. If not, I guess it's back to the dealership.

Be interested to hear how you go with your bike logularjason.

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »
My bike did that sporadically when hot.  A couple of times it did it at a gas station after I just filled the bike.  It always did start, but had to let it sit a few minutes. I should point out that is stumbled a bit when I hit the stater as if is had a weak battery.  But then it would run a few weeks before doing it again.  And it always did it when I just had ridden 50 miles or more, so I had a hard time believing it was the battery.  Also, the bike was less than two years old and I have never had a battery issue on a bike at two years.

I finally did some studying and found a test procedure on Yuasas web site on how to check battery voltage.  Sure enough my bike fell below the specs.  I replaced the battery and no longer had a problem.

Here is the test I used (this quote actually from the Revzilla site)....

You can perform a test with the battery under load (working) to get an idea of the current flowing through it. Note that this isnt the right way to do this, but its another clue to help you confirm or deny your batterys health. Hook up your DVOM in the same manner you did for the standing voltage test, and have an assistant thumb the starter. While the starter is spinning, observe the voltage. The starter should be running at normal speed. A good battery should not drop below 9.6 volts over 10 seconds or so
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:02:16 PM by jjsc6 »
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 s1kr sport
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 04:30:58 AM »
Thanks jjsc.  I'm pretty sure my battery is fine - the bike always starts first time when cold, and as you say, the fault only occurs after the bike is warm (alternator has been charging it).  When turning over the warm bike, the starter  motor sounds like it's doing it's job; fuel just not getting to engine.

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 11:49:35 PM »
Melbourne BMW looked at my bike yesterday.

Inconclusive and work conducted at no cost.  Sounds like they did spend some time on it:

* Extended run on bike stand to warm it up.
* Try to reproduce starting issue.
* Examine battery.
* Confirmed proper fuel pump pressure.  They removed the pump and examined it.

Only hypothesis was that non-premium fuel could be a factor.  I do occasionally use lower than 98 octane fuel when pumps are busy.  Cannot recall if my issues correlate with this - will only use 98 now and see if problem arises.

Aside: sounds like MarvinK's issue was different - my bike cranks over OK but does not start when warm (only 3 episodes so far).  Methinks likely fueling issue.  Whereas Marvin's bike occasionally did not crank when warm and battery was identified as sick and replaced yesterday.   I did independent check on my battery yesterday morn before bike service and cold overnight battery voltage was 12.72V.

Offline Marvin K.

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 12:30:59 AM »
Cheers logularjason. Hope they sort this out for you. Yep, my bike has had a new battery fitted by BMW Melbourne. I was told last time I took the bike in that the battery was OK but that diagnosis has changed - different guys looking at it this time. My issue did seem to be different in that the bike would just cut out after one crank of the starter engine so, yeah, maybe it was just the battery. Have only had the bike back for a day but no issues so far.. I think that's probably sorted it. Happy days.

BTW, I have used lower than 98 octane in the past plenty of times when 98 is una/v for whatever reason. Have even used 91 and up to 10% ethanol on the odd occasion (the manual indicates up to 10% ethanol is OK). Have had no problems but no doubt best to stick to 95 or 98 if you can.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:35:38 AM by Marvin K. »

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
Yep, I really doubt that fuel grade is root cause. Just a long-shot from a workshop that cannot figure it out. To be fair, it's difficult to reproduce.

My main aim was to get it on the official record while bike is under warranty. Might ultimately help BMW to acknowledge issue when others report same.

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by logularjason [+]
Yep, I really doubt that fuel grade is root cause. Just a long-shot from a workshop that cannot figure it out. To be fair, it's difficult to reproduce.

I agree, they'll be blaming your hairstyle next!

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 03:31:05 PM »
Is there any chance that the overflow/breather pipes are getting blocked/pinched causing some kind of vapour lock or vacuum??

Offline logularjason

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »
Just logging info again so that others can demonstrate to BMW that this is a known fault...

My 2017 bike has left me stranded 3 times over the last few months.  Pattern is always the same - bike has been cooling down for around 30 mins after a ride.   Then fails to start with fuelling issue.  Otherwise, bike has been totally reliable for 2 years and I've done 22500km without other problems.   This fuelling thing has been frustratingly intermittent but chronic.  Hard for any service dept to diagnose.

These recent incidents have occurred when:
* Melbourne winter - temp is approx 15 degrees
* Bike temp showing around 60-70 degrees
* On two occasions, I was low on fuel.  Tonight it occurred again and tank was half full.

If I let the bike sit for 1h to cool and top up the fuel, it starts on first try.

Has anybody managed to resolve this via new pump or similar?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:53:59 AM by logularjason »

Offline Joe85

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 07:32:44 PM »
This is the exact issue i had. So far it has been an isolated incident. Concerning that it's a known fault.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor