Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 exhaust dilemma  (Read 6007 times)

Offline tojuba

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R 2017
  • City / Town: Mallorca
Re: 2018 exhaust dilemma
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rawdon [+]
Well after test riding an XR the other day i felt that my bike was missing a big bit of mid-range compared to that, so decided to put the original Akra back on(fitted the SC project at it's first service so never rode it in anger with the standard pipe), and what a difference, top end feels slightly less, but i can get away with 2nd in tight hair pins now instead of dropping into 1st, it's like it's got a new lease of life
Although the standard exhaust is ok I really do like the sound of my SC especially the pops and bangs off throttle and banging down on the quickshifter, I've also noticed that the bike has a really nice induction roar that i couldn't hear before.

Not sure what to do now, i'm guessing that the difference in length is the cause, so do i get the moto gp style Akra, or maybe get a set of headers to give myself more noise- the volume of the standards isn't bad, but there's no depth to the sound.

@rawdon very interesting. I am just about to receive the SC CR-T, I will test the same as you to see if I feel less power in the low-mid revs. I hope not...

In 2017+ model, with the new cat and electronics, I've heard that the bike copes well with can/muffler changes because almost everything is done by the cat. Even I've read about changing the complete line and achieve incredible results with the OEM electronics (it seems really BMW improved it from previous versions)

What have you done, what exhaust is fitted on your bike right now?

Regards,

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
@rawdon

Did you reset the adaptation tables when you put on the SC project exhaust on??(or ride it a couple hundred miles so the tables could re-learn?) If not you may have sold yourself short a little(not guaranteeing it though).

Putting the Akra back on with no miles on the SC project would probably mean that the tables were still set for the Akra anyway.

Just some thoughts...

Offline tojuba

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 07:59:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
@rawdon

Did you reset the adaptation tables when you put on the SC project exhaust on??(or ride it a couple hundred miles so the tables could re-learn?) If not you may have sold yourself short a little(not guaranteeing it though).

Putting the Akra back on with no miles on the SC project would probably mean that the tables were still set for the Akra anyway.

Just some thoughts...

@SimonUK

Do you now if it would be possible to reset the adaptation tables without especial tools on 17+ models? I think it is possible in the 17+ models of the RR. This thing could be really useful to many users!

Regards,

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 08:53:52 PM »
Can you imagine how difficult this quite simple(in the "old" days) exercise is going to be in 2020 when Euro 5 comes in?!

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by tojuba [+]
@SimonUK
Do you now if it would be possible to reset the adaptation tables without especial tools on 17+ models? I think it is possible in the 17+ models of the RR. This thing could be really useful to many users!

GS911 can do this, or a trip to the dealers to hook up to the computer, or ride the bike for a few hundred miles. I am sure someone will chime in with a MotoScan thing, by I have no experience with that option.

Offline samgab

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by MikeO [+]
Hi. I have the Akra Moto GP style can on mine and the sound is superb. I thought about the full system on my 2017 bike but dont want the hassle of bad fueling etc. The can look good as well

Yep, What Mike said, exactly. I have the 2018 model, and I didn't like the tone of the factory Akra, so I too got the Akra Moto GP style can, and I'm soo happy with the tone. Louder, but not too loud. The bangs and pops are louder and not as boomy or stifled. And it's lighter than the factory can, plus it's smaller and looks better. I wouldn't want the bike any louder than it is now, and the advantage is, no need to change the fueling etc.

Offline AngeloS!KR

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: adelaide
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 02:21:29 AM »
ok so maybe its just me but i have the akra GP slip on, on a 2018 S1KR and im not happy with the sound..... it doesnt matter what can you put on it they basically all sound the same, i started the bike with the slip on off took it for a ride and its basically no different to the end can, has no depth or tone to it. i really didn't want to go the route of full exhaust but i think i have to. there is a power commander with maps for the 2018 now so should be fine, i asked BMW dealer and they said i need a thousand dollar race code to map the stock ECU????? WHAAAAT the bike cost 22k and the ECU is locked.... most jap bikes and others are all unlocked from factory. im still in my warranty period so if anything goes wrong ill just switch it back i guess. i also dont feel comfortable cutting the stock headers for a link pipe, id prefer to just go full exhaust. if i go full exhaust, power commander, server eliminator and sprint filter with a tune i should see gains in power though right? not losses.

Offline tojuba

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 07:20:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by AngeloS!KR [+]
ok so maybe its just me but i have the akra GP slip on, on a 2018 S1KR and im not happy with the sound..... it doesnt matter what can you put on it they basically all sound the same, i started the bike with the slip on off took it for a ride and its basically no different to the end can, has no depth or tone to it. i really didn't want to go the route of full exhaust but i think i have to. there is a power commander with maps for the 2018 now so should be fine, i asked BMW dealer and they said i need a thousand dollar race code to map the stock ECU????? WHAAAAT the bike cost 22k and the ECU is locked.... most jap bikes and others are all unlocked from factory. im still in my warranty period so if anything goes wrong ill just switch it back i guess. i also dont feel comfortable cutting the stock headers for a link pipe, id prefer to just go full exhaust. if i go full exhaust, power commander, server eliminator and sprint filter with a tune i should see gains in power though right? not losses.
From what I see... the ECU of the latest version (2017+) is quite flexible. I would just try this first if you go full exahust. Just put the new hardware and reset the adaptatin tables, no ECU changes or repros:

The results shown are really good, I dont know if rideability gets affected though.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
Wow...nearly 180 RWHP....is that a common result for JUST a full system? If so, im defo saving up for one!

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 09:48:47 PM »
I'd say that dyno is super optimistic, personally...

Recent Posts/Topics