Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DDC Recalibration after Sag/Preload Adjustment Screw Up  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2006;GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
DDC Recalibration after Sag/Preload Adjustment Screw Up
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »
This is a follow-up to my post from last week where I had my sag set without the engine running.  As I wrote in the post, after I made the adjustments (without the engine on and not in Rain mode), I could not feel the DDC working at all.  Very frustrating.  Today was my appointment at the BMW shop and after explaining what happened, they recalibrated the DDC and now I can feel the system working again.  There is a noticeable difference between Road and Dynamic suspension settings.  The problem is that I don't know for sure if it feels like it did before I made the changes.  The only thing left to do is get the preload (front and rear) back to the factory settings.  Can anyone confirm that the factory preload settings is 6 rings showing for front preload and for the rear preload, all the way out (counterclockwise)?  Also, if I make the changes with the engine on, in Rain mode and Road suspension, I should not have to recalibrate the DDC again?  Thanks.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Re: DDC Recalibration after Sag/Preload Adjustment Screw Up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »
I can't remember what the stock settings are, sorry.

What I can tell you is that if you set the preload correctly by turning the ignition on and setting in rain or road mode with a warm suspension the DDC will work just fine.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Online DRoss

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:42:52 PM »
Did they adjust the sag with you on the bike? IF not set it correctly and forget it.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »
I don't anything about suspension settings but the pic below is how my '18 bike came from the dealer (no changes made while I've had it). Click on pic to expand and see better. It looks like 5 rings to me  :084:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:48:21 PM by windyrun »

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:25:46 AM »
Thanks Windyrun.  Its 6 rings like I thought.  Tonight I went out for a ride and with the bike running and in Rain mode and road setting I moved the front preload all the way out (counterclockwise) and it shows 6 rings.  I also let all the preload out on the back.  Then I road the bike with DDC in Dynamic and in Dynamic mode and I honestly feel it still does not feel like it did for the first 1000 miles before I messed it up.  I am going to talk with shop tomorrow to see if every time Preload gets adjusted, the DDC has to be recalibrated.  It would seem ridiculous if thats the case, but don't assume anything...

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:58:47 AM »
It does not.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R|Tuono|Tiger
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »
You don't need to have engine running. Yes you have to back out both the preload adjusters. The stock is set at minimum of 6 rings front and the back I don't recall how many rings. 
2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
RACE ECU|Arrow Exhaust|RSV4 Bellpan|CF Tank/Tail sliders|Powerbronze Screen|Koso Heated Grips2014 S1000R Premium
Akra Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax,Tecbike Pan|Bestem CF Fender,sliders|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360 LED signals|H&B panniers
2017 Tiger Explorer XCa
Expedition Cases|ADV protector

Online DRoss

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:11:15 AM »
I've had 2 new S1000R the first was set for the average weight usa rider. The second for the lightest possible rider.i don't know if the factory or the dealer set them up.regardless your sag  or preload needs to be measured for YOUR weight not the factory setting. Just takes a few minutes to do it right.

Offline WhereTFisneutral???

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 03:41:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dans [+]
Thanks Windyrun.  Its 6 rings like I thought.  Tonight I went out for a ride and with the bike running and in Rain mode and road setting I moved the front preload all the way out (counterclockwise) and it shows 6 rings.  I also let all the preload out on the back.  Then I road the bike with DDC in Dynamic and in Dynamic mode and I honestly feel it still does not feel like it did for the first 1000 miles before I messed it up.  I am going to talk with shop tomorrow to see if every time Preload gets adjusted, the DDC has to be recalibrated.  It would seem ridiculous if thats the case, but don't assume anything...

Dans, did you ever get your suspension set up in a way you were comfortable with?

Come back and let us know how you got on  :021:

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 03:33:15 AM »
This is where I am with my 2018 S1000R:

The DDC set up for the 2017/18 is different from the 2016 S1000R that I rode and really loved.  I did not know they changed the DDC for the 2017/18 model and have had to accept that it feels different.  I really LOVED how the 2016 bike felt in its hardest setting.  I felt glued to the road.  I don't have that same feel with my 2018.  HOWEVER, I have now ridden over 5000 miles on the bike and have over time bonded with it and have great confidence in the bike.  Do I wish it felt like the 2016, yes, but am in unhappy with it?  NO.  I love the bike. 

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor