Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I got to ride a Yamaha FZ-10 (MT-10) today  (Read 2126 times)

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
I got to ride a Yamaha FZ-10 (MT-10) today
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:35:01 AM »
A fellow rider on a group ride and I swapped bikes for a couple hundred KM today (the ride was in Mexico, so metric).

It was mostly fast two-lane with some urban traffic (and a couple km of dirt road), and long enough that I think I got a fair measure of the bike.

So, my impressions on the position:
Too upright for me.  It has fairly tall risers and a high bend bar, all of which I would ditch if it were my bike. I prefer to lean into the wind a bit, and have a bit more weight on the front wheel.

The seat-to-peg relationship was good, and the saddle was excellent. Extremely hard and flat, it's the seat I wish our bike had. It flared a little bit too much at the back, but that only bothered me a little bit when hanging way off.

The flyscreen deflects a bit more air than the stock BMW mini screen, and it's nice and smooth.

The vibes are different. The engine vibrates with a larger but slower amplitude than the screamer motor in our bikes. I didn't mind it, but it was noticeable. The mirrors are a little smoother, though.

The crossplane motor sounds good, and the overrun burble is sexy, but the engine braking is severe coming off the BMW (which has very little).  Roll off the throttle and immediately slow down.  I wasn't a fan of that.
Also, the bike is noticeably weaker at every point in the rev range. It lugs badly in the 2,500-4,000 rpm range where the BMW pulls fairly strongly. The Yamaha's power is very top-end biased, so it comes on with a rush above 9k.

The brakes are fine, but not nearly as stout as the R's. But then, few bikes have brakes as good as the BMW's.

The left control cluster is overly fussy. I had to look to find the turn signal every time I wanted to use it. There are just too many poorly arranged toggles and switches for one thumb to deal with.

No power shifter.  :003:

Now, for the good: the electronics package is better than ours. It should be, since it's seven years later, and it is. The TC is smoother and the settings are more configurable. Also, the bike has a smart phone app that shows settings and lean angle and so on. Really pretty sweet, but not better enough to make we want to trade in my R.  Electronics have moved on since the S1000RR debuted in 2010, and what was groundbreaking then is now a couple of generations old.  It's time for some updates, BMW.

As far as how the bike handles: the guy I swapped with is roughly the same size as me, and he had the suspension pretty well dialed in. The Yamaha is a little more resistant to turning than the BMW, but feels really nice and stable mid-turn.  Oddly enough, though, not as planted as the BMW. I never felt as if I were going to go off line, but I also never really felt confident giving the throttle a serious whack at the apex, either.

While it may be a matter of more time in the saddle, I think it mostly has to do with DDC keeping things so controlled as compared to a traditional suspension.

So, in a nutshell: I liked the bike a lot. I would be proud to own one and would be perfectly happy with the BMW with a few easy changes, except for the fact that it feels a step down from the BMW in almost every way except the electronics.

Oh, and it isn't all that ugly from the saddle.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline Fistuk

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
  • City / Town: Tel-Aviv
Re: I got to ride a Yamaha FZ-10 (MT-10) today
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
Well written summary Miles.

I often think about the next bike and what it would be. The problem (?) is that the R is so good that even given its age (the model and mine specifically) there is no alternative that is clearly better or more attractive...

Offline lospsi

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
I think every bike in this category is excellent and it's in the riders individual likes to decide which bike suits him best (this or other factors like pricing, dealer nearby etc).

I found that the MT10 was very comfortable and with decent wind protection, as Miles says. I also noticed that lagging in really low revs, I had to use the clutch more to get going (I bet that has to do with emissions and that an ECU flash would work wonders). Engine wise, our bike is the bike to beat, not only in in absolute numbers but in overall smoothness and performance ( I would put really close the SD1290 engine too).
Lot of reviews critisize the performance of MT10's brakes but I didn't noticed, although S1000R's are fenomenal indeed.

Overall, if I bought that bike last year instead of the S1000R, I would still be happy. No QS is a bummer but I think Yamaha has that part sold as an extra.
S1000R red
Faster than I can handle...

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
Were you riding a 2018 bike?  Because they added a quickshifter (no blipper) as standard equipment for 2018.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper-naked/models/2018/mt-10

New for 2018:
New Quick Shift System (QSS)
Cuts engine output so riders can up-shift without using the clutch and closing the throttle for a more exciting riding experience.

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
Good write up. I too have considered that bike.  I wish they would bring the upgraded SP model to the states.  Ive also read that the engine is very neutered in the states and an ECU tune makes a significant difference.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
The bike I rode was a 2017 in black. It had a full exhaust and kit ecu+ tune.

Man, I want a saddle like that for my bike.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »
nice review, miles!

Offline S1000RSteve

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Buford GA
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
just before I bought my BMW I rode the MT10 and thought I would go that route as I needed an upright due to my back. the same day I rode it I went and saw my friend that is a finance manager at BMW. She said why don't you take the S1000R for a ride. well I was sold. the Yamaha felt like garbage in comparison (I was surprised for a Japanese bike to feel this way). things like the extra play in the the throttle, brakes etc and overall the BMW felt perfect in every way and the Yamaha felt like it would need much work to deliver smooth power.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 01:25:48 AM »
Nice write up. I enjoyed getting the insights from someone that has a lot of experience on an s1000r. After a test ride of an FZ10 last year I came away with similar thoughts except for the seat. Did yours have the comfort seat? My test ride bike had the stock seat which to me didn't feel as good as the s1000r seat (which for me seems just right).

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
I don't know if the Yamaha's seat was the stock version or not.  The owner didn't mention it as otherwise when I commented on how much I liked it, so I'm assuming it was the standard version.

I should mention that the Yamaha's owner said that he does plan on installing the quickshifter, even more so now that he got to spend some time on my bike and got a taste.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor