Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changed Preload without engine on. Will it damage the bike?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Changed Preload without engine on. Will it damage the bike?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by JaseG [+]
Nothing as far as I know, but you do need to have the electrics on when setting the suspension up.

I believe the damping valves in the suspension (or at least the rear shock) are closed when no power is applied. To allow the suspension to move freely so that you can set sag properly, you need the ignition on to open the valves. I also believe having the engine running is just to protect the battery from draining whilst performing the sag set up.

If anyone knows better, let us know!

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2006;GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 12:47:40 AM »
Ok....what a mess I seem to have created for myself and appreciate all help and suggestions.  Here is where I stand with my bike:

Last Saturday I went to a shop to get my sag set and preload adjusted.  They tech did not have the engine on.  And I didn't know it had to be on. The next morning  I left on a 4 day ride and the bike felt terrible.  That night I realized that the engine needed to be on and that my sag numbers where way off.  On Monday I found motorcycle shop in Lacrosse that, with the help of the manual, followed all the instructions and set my sag and adjusted Preload to the recommended range.  The next day I rode the bike and it still feels like the DDC is not working.  There is no change between ROAD and DYNAMIC.  The first 800 miles on the bike were awesome and the bike in Dynamic road felt glued to the road.  Now the bike feels completely different in Dynamic mode. I have an appointment and the dealer where I bought the bike on Monday, however I really would like to get some of your thoughts on this issue and if it has happened to anyone else.  Thank you in advance for your responses. 

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 01:06:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
I believe the damping valves in the suspension (or at least the rear shock) are closed when no power is applied. To allow the suspension to move freely so that you can set sag properly, you need the ignition on to open the valves. I also believe having the engine running is just to protect the battery from draining whilst performing the sag set up.

If anyone knows better, let us know!

If the valves were closed wouldn't the shocks lock in place?

Please understand I'm asking to learn.  Today's vehicles have all sorts of electronic quirks and I don't want to be that old guy who lives in the past :)
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 01:19:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dans [+]
Ok....what a mess I seem to have created for myself and appreciate all help and suggestions.  Here is where I stand with my bike:

Last Saturday I went to a shop to get my sag set and preload adjusted.  They tech did not have the engine on.  And I didn't know it had to be on. The next morning  I left on a 4 day ride and the bike felt terrible.  That night I realized that the engine needed to be on and that my sag numbers where way off.  On Monday I found motorcycle shop in Lacrosse that, with the help of the manual, followed all the instructions and set my sag and adjusted Preload to the recommended range.  The next day I rode the bike and it still feels like the DDC is not working.  There is no change between ROAD and DYNAMIC.  The first 800 miles on the bike were awesome and the bike in Dynamic road felt glued to the road.  Now the bike feels completely different in Dynamic mode. I have an appointment and the dealer where I bought the bike on Monday, however I really would like to get some of your thoughts on this issue and if it has happened to anyone else.  Thank you in advance for your responses.

Not going to lie, I've never found the different modes to have any different feel as far as the suspension is concerned.  DDC is a giant gimmick, IMO.

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by jjsc6 [+]
If the valves were closed wouldn't the shocks lock in place?

Please understand I'm asking to learn.  Today's vehicles have all sorts of electronic quirks and I don't want to be that old guy who lives in the past :)

They are not entirely locked, but extremely hard to move - there will likely be some fluid that can bypass the valves irrespective of ignition on to aid in servicing and as a sort of failsafe.
So it will affect sag as the suspension cannot settle properly.

If you just sit on the bike you can feel the difference in the modes as well as ignition on/off.
I got nothing.....

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
 :0461: what he said.

Closed was an oversimplification, I should have said that without power, the damping valves default to a restricted orifice size. Again, this may just be the rear shock.

For sure, theres a noticeable difference in the suspension feel on my bike. Power off and its like sitting on a plank, power on and the suspension becomes more compliant. Between the modes is a more subtle change, but Im way out of spec and need stiffer springs.

Ive found that the DDC seems to work better if I switch the bike on before I get on it - but that may be just my own personal voodoo...

Offline Jon_Dong

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r (16)
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
If i were to turn the front pre load nut by 1 turn, is that the equivalent to say...1mm?

Just curious as i'm going to have a play today. When measured last, I was 10mm on front and 22mm on rear so i'm thinking I should be at 8mm on the front.

Thanks for the help

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
It wont be as simple as one turn per mm, but once you start adjusting the preload you get a feel for how many turns to try.

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
Thanks for the explanations.  I suspected that was what was meant.  I did not know that. I dont have the bike anymore, but had it two and a half years and put 23,000.miles on it and just learned something new.  Now I have to see if my Superduke GT does the same thing.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Recent Posts/Topics