Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changed Preload without engine on. Will it damage the bike?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2006;GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
I just bought a 2018 s1000r and took it to a suspension shop that I thought knew what they were doing to get my sag set up properly.  I am 160 pounds and ride with another 20 pounds of gear.  They adjusted my front preload and sag is 32mm and rear sag is 25mm, but they did NOT have the engine on and in Road mode.   I just road the bike and it feels terrible.  Its like the DDC is not working at all.  I have two questions:  Can the bike (DDC) be damaged by adjusting the preload without the bike running and in proper mode?  And are the settings above remotely correct for my weight?  They put a zip tie on the front fork and after riding the bike about 200 Miles today the zip tie is only a few mm from the bottom of the fork.   ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:52:45 AM by Dans »

Offline Paul

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 2017
  • City / Town: HULL
Re: Changed Preload without engine on. Will it damage the bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
Take it Back! Make them do it properly with ignition on etc and to  the correct book settings. Front should be 6-10mm difference from you on the bike to you off it and rear between 20-24mm. Not sure on the damage front but worth a quick call to your dealer to check.

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
I wish I could take it right back to them but I got the set up done on Saturday and left for a trip yesterday and thats when I discovered things are not right with the suspension.  I am wondering if there is a way to reset the DDC.   And they are not open on Monday so Im out of luck calling them today.   I am worried I damaged my new bike!

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
Unless the suspension is so soft that the shock/forks are bottoming out under compression, it seems highly unlikely you'll damage anything.

As you've not doubt realized, a lot of conventional suspension shops that know what they're doing are completely lost as soon as electronically adjustable suspension is introduced.

There is no need to "reset the DDC" you just need to re-do the preload adjustment.  Unless you're an absolute muppet with a spanner, I'd just do it myself.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
Your suspension wont have been damaged, but you wont have achieved the correct preload setting without following the correct process.  At your weight, DDC should work well.

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 10:57:05 AM »
Thanks Zombie.  The zip tie they put on the front fork is just a few mm from the bottom of the fork.  I believe I should be adding preload (turning nut clockwise).  Is this correct?  I counted the number of rings and it shows about 2.5.  Any advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:01:05 AM by Dans »

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
What has me concerned was that prior to the preload adjustment,when I was riding the bike I noticed a bike difference between Road and Dynamic modes.  After the adjustment, it feels no different between the two modes. 

Offline Paul

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
Do it yourself whilst you are away. Yes you are correct, clockwise to add preload. Bike ignition on, measure the front then measure with you on. The difference should be between 6 and 10mm. Add preload to reduce the figure, take it off to increase it. Do the same at the rear aiming for 20 to 24mm and happy days. DEC then sorts all the damping. You will only feel the difference between modes when on the move but dynamic should feel "firmer/ stiffer" than road mode a little. Get the preload right and it should transform it. 13mm socket for the rear and 17mm spanner I think for the front.

Offline Dans

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »
Thank you Paul.   Going to make adjustments now. 

Offline Paul

• S1000R Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
No problem. Let us know how you get on.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor