Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil leak on bottom end  (Read 770 times)

Offline MetroCommuter

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: ‘17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Newcastle NSW
Oil leak on bottom end
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:30:14 AM »
Just noticed a very small oil leak around one of the bolts on the bottom left hand side of the engine on my ‘17 “non-sport” s1kr.  Not enough for there to be any drops (it is parked one of three places), and just a slight build up that is not present around the other similar looking bolts.  Just ticked over 9000km, not thrashed. Intend to get the dealer to look at it when it goes in for its 10000km (unless I trade it in on a new one - would really like cruise and heated grips, and aftermarket cost means it is worth trading). Anyone else had a similar problem?

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Oil leak on bottom end
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
Is it oil, or could it be chain lube?? A friend had similar, ended up being over zealous chain lubing and the excess dribbling down from behind the front sprocket cover and looking like an oil leak.

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by MetroCommuter [+]
Just noticed a very small oil leak around one of the bolts on the bottom left hand side of the engine on my ‘17 “non-sport” s1kr... Anyone else had a similar problem?

Yes sir, mine had this problem, and it was an oil leak. I re-torqued all the bolts, some were lose as hell, and this slowed the seepage down to the point where I stopped worrying about it.

Offline MetroCommuter

• S1000R Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:19:39 AM »
Thanks - I wil leave it to the dealer to,deal with while it is under warranty (until April next year). Got to say, never had an oil leak on my ‘17 sv650, but then that was not as hi tech or stressed. I have friends who have zx10r and gsxr1000r bikes, and they seem to have these same niggling issues and recall issues.

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
And remember, you still get Federal warranty well beyond the manufacturers. So the two year unlimited motorcycle warranty is one thing, the Federal Consumer Protection Act is quite another. All the best.

Offline MetroCommuter

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »
Yes, but given my profession I would not be relying on the piss weak statutory warranties, and will probably just try to keep rolling bikes over so they stay in warranty.  That said, BMW Australia has, thus far, had a good reputation for covering of out of warranty issues. Fingers crossed.

Recent Posts/Topics