Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear axle doesnít want to come out  (Read 1964 times)

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Rear axle doesnít want to come out
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 01:03:44 AM »
At least you got it sorted. Amazing where corrosion can get when left for long periods.

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: Palm Springs
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
Just as a precaution, no one here has asked how you clean your bike. If you are pressure washing it, then that could be a reason for the lack of lubrication on your axle and bearings. I'm not saying you used one. It's just that no one asked. A pressure washer can really shorten the life of your bearings.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
Thatís a good question. I do use a pressure washer, but never at full power on the bike. Iím also very careful not to blast any of the bearings or exposed electrical items / wires. My cleaning and maintenance routine for the R isnít really any different to my previous bike, which never snagged an axle bolt. Iíll be taking the rear bolt out and greasing it more regularly to prevent a recurrence, so hopefully it was a one-off.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »
Its always a sweat when something that SHOULD come out so easy , doesnt...glad you got it sorted.

My fave grease for these sort of applications is ACF50, everyone has heard of the spray but the ACF grease is brilliant as well..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/371129765343?chn=ps

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip, podders, I hadnít heard of the grease. Iíll look into it as soon as Iíve finished massaging Swarfega into my cat (the furry kind with a tail, not the metal box in the exhaust system)...

Online beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 06:36:57 AM »
I have taken rear wheels off several new from the factory (no one else has worked on them) S bikes. Each has had different amounts of the silver Optomol TA anti seize on them and the framework around the area. One quite a bit. I think the anti seize holds up better than the greases I have used in the past. I do the frame, axle and bits that touch either, too much is not a problem. On the other hand, the factory uses the Optomol on the front axle and it works fine but saving a penny, I clean it and give it a good spray with white lithium grease. Choose your poison. Most all of them do an okay job, just use something. I change tires on about 40 bikes a year for folks. I find the lip seals dry 70% of the time from the factory or other shops. I fill them with waterproof marine grease each tire change. So many details.

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »
I would bet you have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, based on years of experience, when it comes to maintaining a bike properly. Thanks for sharing.

Online beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 12:14:13 AM »
Interesting you should mention that. Last week I was doing tires for a new customer. He was new to the BMW he had and his wife bought one also (GS's). They came from cruisers. Because I spent twice my normal time for the job telling him about his bikes and giving him tips, he asked me how long I had been working on bikes. Kind of surprised me, I thought for a moment and said since 1963. He mentioned it was before he was born, we had a laugh. Much of my technical experience comes from being a Marine Chief engineer for 35 years. Diesels are us so to speak. But a lot of work on pumps, generators, motors you name it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:16:08 AM by beech »

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »
You should write a book of your experiences. You write very well.

Recent Posts/Topics