Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Leak  (Read 2222 times)

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Re: Fuel Leak
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »
The bike has a strainer inside the gas tank, there is no filter in the system and certainly on external to the tank "filter". There is also a charcoal vapor recovery system that is sometimes refered to as a charcoal filter and numerous hoses and clamps. Many people remove this. If the fuel was pouring out, seems it would be on the pressure side of the system at the fuel pump discharge up to the injector rail and injectors. The explanation of fuel filter clamp is poor and not informative. And, the clamp may have come loose but broken is something I would question. Did you fill your gas tank on the way home the evening before? It is possible to over fill and flood that charcoal tank but I doubt if that was the case here.
I forgot to say that I'm glad it was resolved easily and there was no fire. In automobiles this is a major thing, guess bikes aren't on the safety radar.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:41:42 PM by beech »

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Did you fill your gas tank on the way home the evening before? It is possible to over fill and flood that charcoal tank but I doubt if that was the case here.
I forgot to say that I'm glad it was resolved easily and there was no fire. In automobiles this is a major thing, guess bikes aren't on the safety radar.

In my case I had filled my tank at the end of the previous trip as is my normal behaviour, always like to be able to pop out for a trip when the opportunity presents itself without stopping for fuel.

Offline DJW

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 17 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne, AUS
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
The bike has a strainer inside the gas tank, there is no filter in the system and certainly on external to the tank "filter". There is also a charcoal vapor recovery system that is sometimes refered to as a charcoal filter and numerous hoses and clamps. Many people remove this. If the fuel was pouring out, seems it would be on the pressure side of the system at the fuel pump discharge up to the injector rail and injectors. The explanation of fuel filter clamp is poor and not informative. And, the clamp may have come loose but broken is something I would question. Did you fill your gas tank on the way home the evening before? It is possible to over fill and flood that charcoal tank but I doubt if that was the case here.

My tank was only 1/4 full when it happened to me

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor