Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Leak  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Simcha

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Leeds
Fuel Leak
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:02:33 PM »
Got off early from work for a ride out this afternoon. Came to start the bike and nothing happens just cranking not firing. Tried again and then noticed LOTS of fuel pouring out under the bike. Rang the dealer to see if there was anything to check. Answer no we will have to check it out, can you get the bike to us in a van!! errr no. We will come and get it "soon" it shouldn't be too expensive (around 5 miles from the dealer). I ask if the warranty should cover the costs and he was not sure until it was looked at. The bike is just out of warranty by less than 2 months and the bike has 3000 miles only on her. Bought from and serviced by them. He said he had never heard of the problem but just quickly checking out the internet there is the same issue on the  XR1000 forum. Anyone else had the problem and what was the outcome?

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Fuel Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
Seems to have afflicted a few bikes, and even though you're out of warranty, you still have consumer rights and you can push BMW to cover the cost. There's a little C-clip or something that comes loose. Just a matter of time before one of these bikes incinerates and ends up on YouTube, then BMW will spring into action.

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:30:35 PM »
I wrote a virtually identical post to this just a few weeks ago,  worse still I'd just about still be waiting for the dealer to look at it if I didn't take matters into my own hands, whipped the tank off and found it was the connection of the flexibi fuel delivery pipe to the fuel rail, crimped a new connector on all good, checked the others found they all needed an extra tweak.
Musf have someone with a bit of a limp wrist on the assembly line.
Two strange things though,  1) how did it take two years to fail.  2) why did it fail when the bike was stopped.
Sounds like yours was similar.

https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,7347.0.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:38:29 PM by GDCobra »

Offline AI SAVAGEFOX

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 01:23:27 AM »
Hi everyone, I used to have a 2016 S1000R but Im picking up today my brand new S1000XR. On my old bike I never had an issue although I did only 6000 miles on it.

Theres been a lot of discussion on the S1000XR forum about this and I Just thought I would let you guys know that theres been PLENTY of people with 15 16 XRs that had that same issue worldwide.

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,704.0.html

Hope this helps in any way for some to prevent this issue as  one of the members had that happen while on the M6 at 70mph

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
That's interesting (to me at least), seems like if you leave the ignition turned on the fuel pump will continue to run even with the engine stopped,  I'd have thought it would stop after a initial priming run for safety reasons.

It also seems like this always happen with the bike stopped, I'd have thought more likely when running.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
Yeah, IMO the fuel pump should not function with the ignition off... 

I can't even think of a reason you (or BMW) would ever need it otherwise... Very strange.

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Yeah, IMO the fuel pump should not function with the ignition off... 

I can't even think of a reason you (or BMW) would ever need it otherwise... Very strange.
Well I'm not saying the fuel pump will function with the ignition off BUT it seems odd that it will function with the engine stopped. Not had a lot to do with fuel injection on bikes but on cars I've dealt with the pump will normally run for a couple of seconds when the system is turned on to presurise the fuel rail then stop, once it sees pulses coming from the ignition system it will start again. As I understand it this is to ensure that in the event of an accident or burst in the fuel system (which has would stop the engine) fuel will stop being delivered,  bear in mind an EFi fuel pump will normally always work at maximum volume requirement (and then a bit), unlike an old style,  engine driven pump which would increase flow with engine speed and drop to zero when the engine stops.

My other comment was regarding when the failure occurs, all those I've heard of have happened during startup rather than when in motion, maybe I've just not seen the those cases, or maybe the user's are not around to tell the tale!

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:30:29 AM »

Offline DJW

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 17 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne, AUS
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
This happened to me today.

Went to start the bike in the morning. Didn't start first time which i thought was weird then when tried it a second time got a very strong smell of fuel.

Bike has been picked up by roadside assist and taken to the dealer to work out what has happened. Will find out in the next few days.

Bike is build Jan 2017 and was purchased in July 2017 and now done 6500kms.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • It's not about miles per hour its smiles per hour
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
A potentially deadly situation. I find it abhorrent that a recall wasn't announced. Not good BMW  :151:

Recent Posts/Topics