Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear axle doesnít want to come out  (Read 2353 times)

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Rear axle doesnít want to come out
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 01:03:44 AM »
At least you got it sorted. Amazing where corrosion can get when left for long periods.

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: Palm Springs
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
Just as a precaution, no one here has asked how you clean your bike. If you are pressure washing it, then that could be a reason for the lack of lubrication on your axle and bearings. I'm not saying you used one. It's just that no one asked. A pressure washer can really shorten the life of your bearings.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
Thatís a good question. I do use a pressure washer, but never at full power on the bike. Iím also very careful not to blast any of the bearings or exposed electrical items / wires. My cleaning and maintenance routine for the R isnít really any different to my previous bike, which never snagged an axle bolt. Iíll be taking the rear bolt out and greasing it more regularly to prevent a recurrence, so hopefully it was a one-off.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »
Its always a sweat when something that SHOULD come out so easy , doesnt...glad you got it sorted.

My fave grease for these sort of applications is ACF50, everyone has heard of the spray but the ACF grease is brilliant as well..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/371129765343?chn=ps

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip, podders, I hadnít heard of the grease. Iíll look into it as soon as Iíve finished massaging Swarfega into my cat (the furry kind with a tail, not the metal box in the exhaust system)...

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 06:36:57 AM »
I have taken rear wheels off several new from the factory (no one else has worked on them) S bikes. Each has had different amounts of the silver Optomol TA anti seize on them and the framework around the area. One quite a bit. I think the anti seize holds up better than the greases I have used in the past. I do the frame, axle and bits that touch either, too much is not a problem. On the other hand, the factory uses the Optomol on the front axle and it works fine but saving a penny, I clean it and give it a good spray with white lithium grease. Choose your poison. Most all of them do an okay job, just use something. I change tires on about 40 bikes a year for folks. I find the lip seals dry 70% of the time from the factory or other shops. I fill them with waterproof marine grease each tire change. So many details.

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »
I would bet you have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, based on years of experience, when it comes to maintaining a bike properly. Thanks for sharing.

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 12:14:13 AM »
Interesting you should mention that. Last week I was doing tires for a new customer. He was new to the BMW he had and his wife bought one also (GS's). They came from cruisers. Because I spent twice my normal time for the job telling him about his bikes and giving him tips, he asked me how long I had been working on bikes. Kind of surprised me, I thought for a moment and said since 1963. He mentioned it was before he was born, we had a laugh. Much of my technical experience comes from being a Marine Chief engineer for 35 years. Diesels are us so to speak. But a lot of work on pumps, generators, motors you name it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:16:08 AM by beech »

Offline okemos

• S1000R Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »
You should write a book of your experiences. You write very well.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »
Just to follow up on this thread, I finally got round to removing my rear axle again today. Iím relieved to say the axle slid out freely, having been undisturbed since May 2018. So, I gave it a good wipe down, coated the axle and the inner bearing races with Optimol TA and slid it all back together again. Hopefully it will be as easy next time too...

Recent Posts/Topics