Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear axle doesnít want to come out  (Read 2795 times)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
Rear axle doesnít want to come out
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:09 PM »
I just ordered some new tyres so came to remove the wheels tonight, but the rear axle just doesnít seem to want to come out. I remember it was quite difficult to remove / insert the axle last time I changed tyres (2 years ago). Iíve tried supporting the rear wheel to take the weight off the axle without success. Using a mallet / block of wood to carefully drift the axle hasnít budged it. To be honest, it doesnít even seem to slide backwards and forwards to adjust the chain tension particularly freely. Any thoughts / advice appreciated please!

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Rear axle doesnít want to come out
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:21:04 AM »
If you've supported the rear wheels, there's no chain tension whatsoever, and it's on a rear stand, then don't be afraid to really whack it hard with a block of wood and mallet. You won't harm it. Give it a fookinwalloping. If it still doesn't move, get some penetrating oil, say WD 40, give both ends a good spray and leave it alone over night. It should then fly out when you give another whack. Another method is using CRC Freeze - may constrict the axle diameter slightly and free it up. If the ignorant sod still refuses to budge, you could attempt to make a large bolt puller, this forum post explains it a bit more: http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-rc51/62415-stuck-rear-axle.html. OR, if you're willing to part with some cash - let the dealer sort it.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I gave the WD40 a go and Iíve also given the axle a beating as hard as my mechanical sympathy will allow, but no luck. I think Iím going to chicken out on this occasion and let my (very good) tyre shop figure it out.

Any tips on prevention for the future? I gave the axle a light coating of moly grease last time I had it out, in the hope it would avoid this kind of issue.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
Try removing the big axle nut and washer from the left side first, then apply the beating.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine what it is that's preventing free removal of the axle.  I only just need to tap mine enough for the flange on the right end to clear so I can grab it and pull it out easily by hand.

All I do is apply a bit of grease every so often and there are never any problems.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by miles [+]
In all seriousness, I can't imagine what it is that's preventing free removal of the axle.  I only just need to tap mine enough for the flange on the right end to clear so I can grab it and pull it out easily by hand.

All I do is apply a bit of grease every so often and there are never any problems.

Me too, though the OP mentioned that he last changed tyres 2 years ago, if the axle was not greased nicely then some corrosion could have got in there

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
I can't imagine the level of corrosion that would form in 2 years that would a) resist a solid thump with a mallet, b) a solid spray of WD40 left to sit overnight and another thump with a mallet, especially since he mentioned a couple posts ago that he did give the axle a coating of grease when he last had it out.

I take military equipment apart for a living and I always say to my apprentice technicians "If it won't easily come apart, there's a reason why."

I hope for the OP's sake it's something foolish he overlooked :P

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
Iím keeping my fingers crossed that it is something simple like a bit of corrosion, even though the axle was greased, my bike rarely sees rain and it stays in the garage over winter whilst the roads are salty. I donít like to abuse my stuff, so Iím with zombie on the ďthereís a reason why it wonít come apartĒ front.

My bike is booked in on Saturday for my tyre shop to see what they can make of it, so Iíll report back on what they find. I might take some scotchbrite with me and give the axle a polish whilst they fit the tyre... assuming the axle comes out.

Just glad I decided to fit new tyres now. I was thinking of leaving them until just before I head to the Dolomites in July. At least this way, whatever problems there may be should be fixable within the next 5 weeks

Online beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 06:14:38 AM »
Sorry for your problem, use a good coat of antisieze or grease,  to coat the axle. Moly is not really a protection agent but a high pressure anti spot weld coating. The corrosion aspect, if the axle has become one with any of the bearing inner races it merits a very close inspection.  :155:

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
It turns out there was a bit of corrosion at both bearing positions - visible on both the inner races and the mating surfaces of the axle. After a good rub down to clean everything up, reassembly was straightforward. I think Iíll be removing the rear wheel on a more regular basis from now on to ensure everything remains well-greased and free-running.

Recent Posts/Topics