Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Power RS Fitted.  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Michelin Power RS Fitted.
« on: May 13, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
Having gone through a set of OEM Bridgestone S20's and then S21's I wanted to give something else a try and finally plumped for Michelin Power RS's.

For reference the bike is used for fast road riding, which also includes commuting. I am lucky though in that my commute to work is all fast flowing country roads, so motorway & dual carriage way work has been very very minimal, other than a trip to Oulton Park last weekend with my son as pillion (325 mile round trip)

OEM S20 Front tyre lasted almost exactly 5000 miles. TBH it probably should have been changed about 500 miles earlier as the shoulders had been worn smooth, and were way past their indicators.

OEM S20 Rear tyre lasted approx 3000 miles.

S21 Rear lasted 2000 miles, and again it was shagged on the shoulders just like the front, and the 350 mile almost all motorway trip last weekend seriously squared it off massively which surprised me.

To be honest, I never totally gelled with the S21's. Whilst their wet weather grip was fantastic and really confidence inspiring, I just found them to be slightly lacking in the dry. One thing I really did not like was their strange tendency to, what I can only really describe as `skip' every now and then. First couple of times I put it down to them being cold and sliding (I fitted the tyres in November and rode them all the way through till May) however it happened a few other times when they were definitely warm. It wasn't a suspension set up thing, or road surface thing either. I just couldn't put my finger on what was causing it and it ultimately affected my confidence to really push them.

So on to the RS's

I have only put 25 miles on them since fitting them late last week, but even those 25 miles have been seriously confidence inspiring in their abilities.
Normally I hate `scrubbing in' new tyres and tend to take things pretty easy for the first 50 miles or so, however on the RS's I immediately felt at ease with them. They warm up really quick, transition from side to side a lot faster than the Bridgestones and have even started to grain up nicely already.

For those familiar with the tyre there is 3 bars right on the outer edges of the shoulders. Not sure what their intention is? But it's been a good indicator of just how far over I have been able to get it during the scrubbing in stage, all bars other than the one closest to the outside edge of the tyre has been ridden on, which is testament to how much confidence I do have in the tyre already, I'd normally wait till I had a hundred miles or so on a set before taking a tyre up to its edge.

Given the graining already present, I very much doubt they will last anywhere near as long as the Bridgestones, but for me personally that is not a factor I take in to consideration when buying tyres, and even if they do wear out quicker, Michelin have a nice 30 refund on every set of RS's purchased at the minute  :062:

So that is where I am with them right now, I would be interested in hearing how others have got on with them so far?

Offline Toonleigh09

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Michelin Power RS Fitted.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »
Got a set the end of last summer for a dry trip to the lakes for the weekend. After that a very wet ride to Oban and this year a  very wet trip to Aviemore. Other than that I haven't done that many miles. Have to agree they are very good even in the wet which I was a bit worried about. However with the trips I have done I should have got some sports touring tyres.....they have squared off pretty badly. Got a trip to ireland in just over a month and think i will need somwthing new. Definitely recommend if you are using them for twisty roads 👍

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
You squared them off on a trip to the lakes? I can only assume you went via the A1 / A66 rather than Hartside?

I think if you do tend to do more motorway type riding, then something like a PR4 or PR5 would be more suited, but for the type of riding I do these RS's should be spot on.

Offline Toonleigh09

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
Ha ha,  Stanhope there and Hartside back  but I think the rain / snow in Scotland didn't encourage leaning the bike over too far. One of the lads doing a track day at croft on Friday and just fitted these, told him he would be more than happy

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
Bit of an update,

I've had these on for something like 8 weeks or so now and covered approx. 2000 road miles only during that time.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time for solo rides riding at the pace I prefer. A pal of mine has recently passed his bike test and I have spent a bit of time out with him so he can follow me and improve his road position so the pace has been a lot slower than usual.

As expected the tyre performance under those situations were as you would expect of any tyre. Faultless.

Over the past couple of weeks I have managed to squeeze in a few solo rides over Hartside, and just last weekend I took the bike over to Helmsley and on to Scarborough. .... And gave them hell!

My previous observation of them warming fairly quickly still stands, however the front has pushed slightly a few times when I have pushed on a little too hard without them being fully up to temperature, nothing major, but enough to make you take notice and wind your neck in for another 10 mins or so until they are warmed properly.

Once up to temperature they are nothing short of f*****g phenomenal! You can really take the pi$$ with them. Lovely progressive slides from the rear that always feel totally controllable front end is nothing short of confidence inspiring, I never give front end grip a second thought, I have total trust that the tyre is going to stick.

Even on the road you get melted curls of rubber right up to the outer edge of the tyres. I had a quick feel of the tyre after I stopped too and they get that hot you could barely touch them.

I also got to test them in an emergency situation last weekend too. An old dear pulled out of a junction on me. I was doing maybe 50 / 60mph at the time with her infront of me and a tractor coming in the other direction. There was only 2 possible outcomes in this situation. Stop in time or crash in to the back of a Micra, or the front of a tractor.
Now we all know that the BMW electronics are fantastic and they may partly have played a role in me stopping (thankfully) But even with a massive fistfull of front brake, stomping on the rear brake, back wheel up in the air then back down again chirping away. The front was rock solid and I can't even say that I detected the ABS kick in on the front. I could feel it through the rear pedal for sure. But the front? I really don't think so?

One thing to note is that the tyres do have a certain `Squidge' to them. What do I mean by squidge?
I have noticed that when riding at say 3 to 4 tenths and partially leant over you can feel some form of movement in the tyre, which at first, feels like a small slide or even a slight puncture. It most definitely is not that though. As far as I am able to tell it is down to the soft compound of the tyre squidging around (imagine taking a piece of Blu-tack between your fingers and compressing it while sliding your fingers together ... That's what I mean by squidge) ... It is more pronounced when riding with a pillion too.
It's not a concern or an issue with the tyre, its just how soft compound tyres feel I guess. If you weren't aware of it though it could cause you some concern at first, or knock your confidence slightly. But rest assured, once you start pushing on harder it disappears and just gets on with the job of keeping you glued to the road.

Given our glorious British summer this year, and the fact it has only rained once since fitting them I can't comment on their wet weather performance as I have only ridden about 5 miles in the wet.

How are they wearing?

The front has masses of life left in it.

The rear. Hmmm I'd say I maybe have another 500 miles left in it before it needs changing? If I take it easy then that may go up to around 1000? The dual compound resisting major wear in the center, with the shoulders of both tyres graining up lovely all the way to the outer edges.

Would I fit them again? 100% I would, without question.

Offline Kaos Theory

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Dublin
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »
Am running them on my '17, can't fault them really, even in the wet they give good feedback for what is essentially a fast road riding/trackday tyre.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
Tyres are obviously subjective - I put s21s on and just took the bike to IoM for a week - ragged the bike (its faster than me) but took the rear to the edges on both sides - as youd expect the grip there is good but the s21 was impeccable especially at high speed cornering - rear grip handled full power acceleration through all the gears - no slides, impeccable wet weather grip and an iron front tyre grip - the rear though just dug in. Im sure track wise the s21s would find their limits but they so far are good for me. Am surprised at the above report in Miches squaring off - the belt design is meant to be superior to the Bridgeys in this respect, although softer rubber is probably less tolerant of motorway miles. As I do some longer trips but on fast As I probably dont need the softer rubber but this thread makes for a really interesting read. I havent tried the Miches so obviously Im not qualified to comment on the differences, but Bridgey 21s seem to suit me.

Recent Posts/Topics