Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Power loss in system after crash and repairs  (Read 437 times)

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Power loss in system after crash and repairs
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »
I had my bike in for fairly extensive repairs after a crash - most of the damage was to the radiator.  All those issues were resolved.  Along the way the shop said they had to repair the battery, which seemed odd because it was in good health when I dropped it off.  Anyway after a couple weeks of riding I noticed some hard starts.  Then the bike died completely at the market.  I am back at th eshop and they have not yet been able to locate the power drain.  I am suspicious of this being a battery issue and am hoping it's not related to the original crash.  The light and dash came on, but it owouldnt turn over.  Fuel injection?  Starter?  Variator?

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Re: Power loss in system after crash and repairs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »
"repair" the battery?  Did you mean replace?

"they have not yet been able to locate the power drain. "

So are you saying that the battery was dead and they suspect a parasitic draw?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:30:37 AM by BillB »

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 02:50:46 AM »
Right - they replaced my old battery, which I had no idea was even low.  And it seems they do suspect some kind of leak in the system, power-wise.

Software update had nothing to do with it.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
Well, given that you had a battery die, and now a new battery has died, I would suspect you've got a parasitic draw (or a damaged generator/voltage regulator).  Especially in light of the fact that the bike was in a wreck, you could have a loose connection or a frayed wire in a harness somewhere.  A quick voltage drop test along the battery power points would track down loose connections.  A current measurement from the battery would indicate a draw while the bike is off, after the 1 minute timer.  They should have also checked the charging voltage to ensure the generator is ok.

I wouldn't suspect an outright faulty component like you listed just yet, since you say the bike is running fine otherwise and note throwing codes.

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
Looks like one of the starter coils burned out.  I figured.  When it was hard-starting it felt just like this looks.

Although Im still dubious of damage from the crash and I think the things youve listed off are worth checking.

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
Edt:  It was the "STATer", not the starter.  Kind of a fluke.  One of the coils burned out.   $1100.00 part! Warrantied.

Possibly related to my accident but not sure.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:35:09 PM »
Stator.  That's part of the generator.  The failure mode for a winding is usually damage to/or contamination of the enamel on the winding wire, which is hard to do because they are coated with epoxy and very sturdy. 

Without knowing more about the accident and what else was damaged, it would be hard to say if it was responsible.  If your voltage regulator was damaged somehow as well, that might explain it.  Otherwise, just bad luck.   

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
Yeah thats it.

Most of the damage in the accident was to the radiator area, but god lnoes wgat ekse happened.   I beliece the voltage regulatir was checked.  I certainly hope this is the end of it, but the bike is jist so damned complex.  Sturdy, but complex.

Offline VolvoWrench

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Aptos, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »
$1100 just for the part? Holy smokes.

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA