Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Light front end - no wobble  (Read 2537 times)

Offline peeti

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Chicagoland
Light front end - no wobble
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »
So after months of reading suspension topics and about to install my Ohlins damper - today I experienced some of what's been discussed. Under heavy acceleration, the front end gets super light. While I'm guessing traction control is preventing a wheelie, what can be done to minimize this short of leaning forward and moving the weight onto the front wheel?

Should I crank up preload on the rear shock so it's stiffer?

Ironically, I'm 100k/220 lbs... I put a zip tie on the front forks and thankfully it never gets lower than one inch above the bottom.

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
Re: Light front end - no wobble
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:29:03 AM »
Modulate your right wrist twisting?  :008: :008:

Offline peeti

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 12:33:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by CraigA [+]
Modulate your right wrist twisting?  :008: :008:
LOL - or buy a 400cc suzuki?

Cute CraigA cute.

Back to the topic at hand, any suggestions that won't require a suspension rebuild? I did that once on a Speed Triple and loved it, but man, I can't afford that these days.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:38:22 AM »
It's the nature of the bike and part of its charm. Don't worry about it.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:49:15 AM »
I hate to say it, but cranking up the pre-load will not stiffen the suspension.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
Strap a few kilos of lead between your forks to counter the torque reaction that tries to lift the front end when you open the throttle?

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
Anti wheelie Is preventing it from wheelying.
Traction control is controlling the traction.

Seriously though, if you're giving it a handfull of gas the front end is going to go light, there's no way of preventing that. It's what bikes, and cars for that matter do.

I'm unsure what an aftermarket steering damper will do to alleviate the front end going light either?

If it's scarying you then you probably do need to take the advice of CraigA and modulate your wrist action a bit more.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:10:40 AM by Airsafari87 »

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R|Tuono|Tiger
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:35:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by peeti [+]
So after months of reading suspension topics and about to install my Ohlins damper - today I experienced some of what's been discussed. Under heavy acceleration, the front end gets super light. While I'm guessing traction control is preventing a wheelie, what can be done to minimize this short of leaning forward and moving the weight onto the front wheel?

Should I crank up preload on the rear shock so it's stiffer?

Ironically, I'm 100k/220 lbs... I put a zip tie on the front forks and thankfully it never gets lower than one inch above the bottom.

I am 190lb geared but I bottom out the front end with stock settings. You are not riding hard enough :D
2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
RACE ECU|Arrow Exhaust|RSV4 Bellpan|CF Tank/Tail sliders|Powerbronze Screen|Koso Heated Grips2014 S1000R Premium
Akra Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax,Tecbike Pan|Bestem CF Fender,sliders|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360 LED signals|H&B panniers
2017 Tiger Explorer XCa
Expedition Cases|ADV protector

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 01:34:18 AM »
I see you recently received an ohlins steering damper. I think the reason people recommend these is partly to keep the front from wobbling too much during wheelies or to increase resistance to move around when the front goes light during hard acceleration.

For me I instinctively lean forward whenever I anticipate opening the throttle since i have learned that's what bikes do when you accelerate a lot suddenly. Like others said above - its part of the fun but you do need to be mindful of how much you are ready to deal with if in dynamic mode.

A good "training" bike for this is a superduke. I test rode one and had it in sport mode (i think that is the aggressive mode) and couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground :) The dealer must have had wheelie control off or something but it was fun -- for a while.  FZ10 is another bike where you really need to lean forward under hard acceleration.

Offline peeti

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
I am 190lb geared but I bottom out the front end with stock settings. You are not riding hard enough :D
That you're right about - unfortunately around Chicago it's either lots of straight lines or traffic. So there's no twisties to enjoy and really get on it.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor