Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch slippage when at temperature?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Squidlet

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
Clutch slippage when at temperature?
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:47:10 AM »
So I'm not due for a service and my bike sat all winter.  I know it's not required, but I decided to change my oil anyways.  I put in Rotella T6 5W-40.  For some reason it feels like the clutch isn't biting all the way and there is some slippage?  Am I crazy?  Can this even happen with different oil? 

Can you guys recommend any solutions to having a better clutch bite?  Sorry I'm not an expert, I hope I'm saying the words right :P

EDIT:  Some friends checked my clutch and I had zero free play, loosened 1 rotation and now 2mm ish of jiggle.  They claim that might help, we'll see.  Maybe I adjusted it to tightly when I put on my shorty levers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:16:17 AM by Squidlet »

Offline Rivets

• S1000R Member
Re: Clutch slippage when at temperature?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
Was told when I picked mine up that you need the play when its cold as it will tighten when the engine is up to temp so I think you've solved your problem

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Largo, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:47:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rivets [+]
Was told when I picked mine up that you need the play when its cold as it will tighten when the engine is up to temp so I think you've solved your problem

The specified play, measured when cold, is necessary so that the clutch engages fully when released, but I have never seen a cable shrink when hot.
2016 BMW S1000R, I likes 'em naked.
"BMW - The Ultimate Driving Riding Machine!"

I am NOT a Biker, nor a Hooligan, Im a Motorcyclist.

Offline Rivets

• S1000R Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:52:46 AM »
 :148:I apologise for a bad choice of words, did not mean the cable will tighten (shrink), I meant the clutch action will change when engine up to temp. Ive had my fair share of bikes to date but the S1KR is the worst clutch I have ever encountered for feel and bite point.

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Largo, Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »
Many people dont like their clutch engagement so far out from the grip (needed for the switch), but I for one, do prefer it. 

Perhaps an adjustable lever would allow you to improve the feel more to your liking. 

Rather disappointing that a bike of this caliber comes with only one lever adjustable when many lesser bikes come standard with two.
2016 BMW S1000R, I likes 'em naked.
"BMW - The Ultimate Driving Riding Machine!"

I am NOT a Biker, nor a Hooligan, Im a Motorcyclist.

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
Although the T6 oil is used by many and certainly is a good price, you may want to try a change with Castrol (https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power1-Synthetic-Motorcycle-Bottle/dp/B008MISDII/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525276195&sr=8-4&keywords=castrol+5w40) Or Motul (https://www.amazon.com/Motul-7100-Synthetic-Ester-Motor/dp/B00IKCY7L8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525276338&sr=1-1&keywords=motul+7100+5w40)
Just to see if it is your imagination.
The owners manual has the clutch lever gap spec. Unfortunately it is important to follow it. I like a little different lever location due to short fingers. So Alternate levers are helpful. But don't buy the 20$ ones on EBAy

Recent Posts/Topics