Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why no coolant replacement schedule?  (Read 483 times)

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Why no coolant replacement schedule?
« on: April 14, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »
My bikes just had its 20k service. I asked if theyd do the coolant this time as the bike is now 3yrs old. Bmw dont specify to change the fluid, just top up- as needed.

This cant be good for an alloy engine? For cars, I know theres a point where some sort of negative electrolysis effect happens with the alloy components after X years.

Second, can I use any coolant and do it myself, or is there a specific bmw fluid.

Thanks.

Offline AussieS1KR

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Why no coolant replacement schedule?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
Can confirm its coolant for life. Use the genuine BMW stuff to top up. Never mix coolant.

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »
Thanks Aussie. How are you able to confirm? I havent found any mention on other forums, bmw websites, service schedules, etc, that say this.

My current car has coolant that is meant for 10yrs, then to be replaced every 2yrs- with the exact same coolant.

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
With today's incredibly well made motors and advanced materials, coolant changes are not that important at all, and if you leave the factory stuff in for more than 5 years your block will be totally fine.

The only reason I change coolant on my bikes is if I'm installing Samco hoses, otherwise I leave it in for the life of the bike. Some riders like to change their coolant every 2 years, believing it'll protect the block & radiator, and keep cooling optimal. But this is all bogus.  BMW recently changed the coolant on my near new S1KR because the water pump had to be replaced - but the service manager told me they otherwise only top it up if they see the level a bit low.

So you're all good.

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the further info :)

Online BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
This is very similar to BMW's "lifetime"* fluid philosophy for the cars.  They tried to significantly reduce the TOC by lengthening the maintenance intervals, including a 15k mile oil change.  It didn't work out too well, and they lowered it to 12k miles. 

This is same exact coolant that they use in their cars, and they used to recommend a 4 year interval for it.  I wouldn't keep it longer than 100k or 6 years. 

* In the very fine print, "lifetime" is really about 100k miles; as they really don't care about TOC beyond 5 years. 

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by BillB [+]
This is very similar to BMW's "lifetime"* fluid philosophy for the cars.  They tried to significantly reduce the TOC by lengthening the maintenance intervals, including a 15k mile oil change.  It didn't work out too well, and they lowered it to 12k miles. 

Is that a US thing?  My BMW car has condition based servicing that works out to an oil change every 18K miles or so.

Online BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:12 AM »
I doubt that it applies to only to the US.  The CBS interval is nothing more than a glorified fuel consumption tracker.  When you reset your CBS, the default mileage interval is displayed (based on some average MPG estimate).

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor