Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: German math  (Read 1140 times)

Offline KlausK

• S1000R Junior
Re: German math
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:53:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by hedonist222 [+]
Every time it says 5km left, I re-fuel.
Now I am expecting to re-fuel at least 16 of the 17l tank.
Nope. I can only fill 13 or 14 before the fuel reaches the bottom of the funnel area.
So , 4 liters remaining = 5 km left to empty???

Something is wrong.

My personal record is 17.3l in the 17.5l tank. That was after riding 303km on a single tank. The range had shown - - - for the last 2 km at that time.

Overall it have been quite accurate for me.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
I find the range indicator accuracy is dependent on the kind of riding Im doing. On the motorway (constant speed / throttle) its pretty good. On cross-country roads (varying speed and throttle) its a bit pessimistic. Better that way round than optimistic like my BMW car that seems to count linearly down to about 40/50 miles remaining then plummet like a stone...

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
I think the most likely explanation for showing the same rsnge for a number of miles is that the furl gauge sender tops out some time before the tank is completely filled, until that fuel is burned off the brain will still think the tank is at the same level hence same range.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by GDCobra [+]
I think the most likely explanation for showing the same rsnge for a number of miles is that the furl gauge sender tops out some time before the tank is completely filled, until that fuel is burned off the brain will still think the tank is at the same level hence same range.

This is exactly what's going on.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike2105 [+]
This is the same in cars.  It is normal for some reason.  The 'range' displayed can vary for a number of reasons and is only really a guide and not an exact science.  It mainly varies due to changes in how you drive / ride.  It should calculate expected fuel range based on your riding style.  If you've been riding conservatively for some time it will give you a nice big figure for expected range but if you then start winding the throttle right open - you'll see the range drop dramatically and certainly more quickly than you might otherwise think it should.

That is true, but of the many bikes and cars Ive had with trip computers, the Germans are by far the best at using my real range rather than just how I rode the last 500. My Concours 14 was really bad about that. 
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline mart242

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 03:22:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by jjsc6 [+]
That is true, but of the many bikes and cars Ive had with trip computers, the Germans are by far the best at using my real range rather than just how I rode the last 500. My Concours 14 was really bad about that.

The Germans aren't always bang on for range.. 

Offline Bert

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 06:04:36 AM »
Well, there goes the assumption germans are pnktlich.
Im considering the same test for my bike. At least I will know what real range it is capable of. (I will take a spare liter of fuel with me).

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by jjsc6 [+]

But on the other hand my VW always indicates an MPG figure 5MPG optimistic, but then we all know VW only have a passing relationship with the truth.
Good car though.

Offline Bert

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 09:19:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by GDCobra [+]
But on the other hand my VW always indicates an MPG figure 5MPG optimistic, but then we all know VW only have a passing relationship with the truth.
Good car though.

VW uses also German math. For emission.

Offline GDCobra

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bert [+]
VW uses also German math. For emission.

Hence my comment about their relationship with the truth.
I hope my Mercedes is more accurate (or at least not optimistic) because it struggles to get over 20MPG (and that's a full size imperial G).

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor