Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant leak or overflow? 2017 s1000r 1300 miles.  (Read 4830 times)

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Coolant leak or overflow? 2017 s1000r 1300 miles.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hyper-Byker [+]
My 2018 model seems to have discharged small amounts from this area.
However, I just completed a month long tour of Spain and France which included four days at Almeria Circuit and covered 6500 miles but the overflow tank is still at a normal level.
Should I be taking it in to the dealer?

Similar to mine - I topped up with about 20-30ccs of de-ionised water - seems ok now - did it after a good thrash around the IoM in the summer (nothing abusive at all though) - coolant on boot, engine cases and end can - seems to have settled tho - took rad cap off and re-tightened - it was just after a service so they had no doubt fiddled with it (as well as not tightening up the belly pan screws after an oil change). Just monitor I'd say. Still a silly issue though - no other bikes or cars I've owned in the last 20 years have had any issues with coolant levels except the BM   

Offline greentree428

• S1000R Pro
  • Jake
  • Bike: 16' S1000R
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
Resurrecting this post because I'm experiencing same issue now.

Owned new since Oct 2016 with 14k miles. Had issues in beginning with disappearing coolant in res, but never had a leak.

A month ago after spirited ride I noticed a few drops under engine. Turned out to be same leak point as noted here. Since then, it has been leaking from that point after every ride. Not a lot, but enough to be noticeable. The coolant level hasn't dropped in the res. I just finished turning bike into dealer to be looked at.

Guy tried to send me off without having it looked at bc he said some leaking there is normal. I insisted that since it hadn't been doing that from the start, I really wanted to have it inspected. Plus my warranty expires in less than 6 months.

Offline greentree428

• S1000R Pro
  • Jake
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 10:39:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by greentree428 [+]
Resurrecting this post because I'm experiencing same issue now.....

Official word from this dealer was that some coolant leakage from that point is normal because it is designed to drain out of there. He said to start documenting it after each ride by taking pictures of the leak spot...

My question is has anyone else been told this before? With the warranty expiring in 6 months I want to document any potential issues now to build a case.

If the slow leak doesnt stop after a few months of regular riding and before my warranty expires, would anyone suggest bringing it in again armed with photos? My luck, this will all fall apart the day after my warranty period ends.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 10:30:44 PM »
Official word from this dealer was that some coolant leakage from that point is normal because it is designed to drain out of there. He said to start documenting it after each ride by taking pictures of the leak spot...

My question is has anyone else been told this before? With the warranty expiring in 6 months I want to document any potential issues now to build a case.

If the slow leak doesnt stop after a few months of regular riding and before my warranty expires, would anyone suggest bringing it in again armed with photos? My luck, this will all fall apart the day after my warranty period ends.

Total bullshit, he has fobbed you off there....the weep hole is there to indicate the mechanical water seal has failed.

No vehicle is "designed" to leak coolant!

The system draws and purges coolant back as required into the expansion tank, not drops it out of the waterpump...!

Mine failed and leaked at 800 miles from new, was replaced straight off with no questions.

As you say, it will most likely fail out of warranty so id be pushing to change that now.

Offline greentree428

• S1000R Pro
  • Jake
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Total bullshit, he has fobbed you off there....the weep hole is there to indicate the mechanical water seal has failed.

No vehicle is "designed" to leak coolant!

Thank you for explaining this some more.

I am going to stay on top of them about this.

I haven't needed to do this, but I presume there is greater BMW body that I can raise a complaint to if I feel like my local dealer keeps refusing to address the problem?

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »

I haven't needed to do this, but I presume there is greater BMW body that I can raise a complaint to if I feel like my local dealer keeps refusing to address the problem?

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/info/contact.html   

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »

Same problem I'm having...  my dealer replaced the seal instead of the pump last fall, and I'm going to have to take it back again.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor