Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: spongy brakes after storage  (Read 1428 times)

Offline river right

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2016 s1000R
spongy brakes after storage
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
Hey All
Fairly excited I found this forum, lots of good informative posts on here.
With that being said I have a question for my first post, that a quick search didn't answer. When I put my 2016 SR up in the garage for the winter my front brakes were normal. But after a couple of months of sitting, I began to install my new mirrors, tail tidy and a oil change I realized my front brake lever almost fell to the bar. It still braked but nothing like it should. Also my break reservoir is full, so to me that would mean no sign of a leak. Do you folks have any thoughts?
 I have 7000 *ish* miles on it. I tried bleeding it with out a gs911 but no result. I'm planning on purchasing a gs911 in short order anyway and will hopefully try that soon and give it a full flush but I'm not sure if that would do the trick.
Thanks
 RR

Offline Wullie

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: LIVINGSTON
Re: spongy brakes after storage
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:06 PM »
Open the fluid reservoir at the top. Just cracked a little, not right open. Cable tie/tape the lever right back to the handlebar.  Leave it over night. Give the brake lines a tap from the bottom up with a spanner to dislodge any trapped air.  In the morning, untie the lever, give it a couple of pumps and if it was needing bled, it should be fine now.

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by river right [+]
I tried bleeding it with out a gs911 but no result. I'm planning on purchasing a gs911 in short order anyway and will hopefully try that soon and give it a full flush but I'm not sure if that would do the trick.
Thanks
 RR

Dont forget about the bleed valve on the front brake master cylinder.
From what I understand if you have air in the system you do need to cycle the ABS pump.
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline river right

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »
thanks for the ideas guys!

Offline RazaS1000R

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:27:51 AM »
Let us know if it worked.

Offline Munch

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Colorado
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:04:44 AM »
Any update? I have the exact same issue, will crack open and rubberband it tonight...

Offline Munch

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Colorado
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 03:04:08 AM »
Quick update. Zip tie of brake lever with reservoir cap loose had no effect.

I then attached a 3" section of clear tube to the Master bleed screw. Two quick pulls while alternating open/close, and I again have a super firm brake lever.

So a gap of air was introduced over the winter. Problem solved.

Offline river right

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
sorry for the very late response guys, life got in the way. I couldn't get it to work for me so I ended up taking it to the dealer and having them fix it. they said it was due to dropping my bike in the driveway one year prior and letting air into the lines. I told them that doesn't make sense because it only went bad after storage but its fixed now and since then my brother and I went in on a gs911 so if it ever occurs again I have the means for really get into it myself

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor