Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is it time for a new chain?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline VolvoWrench

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Aptos, CA USA
Re: Is it time for a new chain?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »
Vito, since you work at a beemer dealer, I'm sure you're well aware of the "12 month adjustment period". If your chain had lost the O-rings in that time, I'd say warranty for sure, since you're way beyond that, I can see them not covering it.

Also, I see in your gallery photos a lot of you doing wheelies. Sure the bike and chain should be up for that but, you certainly are pushing the bike.

Lastly, just last week I replaced the chain on my Grom at 4.5K miles because it was getting close to the stretch limit. I didn't want the chain to break at the worst possible time and leave me stranded so, I just went ahead and bought myself some insurance. Replaced it with a DID chain and will probably never replace it again. BTW, the chain on a Grom is a glorified bicycle chain with no O-rings. We all know the manufacturers put on the cheapest stuff they can get away with.

Sounds like Andy and you could do this chain swap yourselves.

Offline mycousinvito

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bergen County NJ
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
Yea I plan on buying a DID chain and doing it myself it's not big problem. Like I said this is the first bike I've had that needed a chain before 20k. (And I ride the hell out of them on the track and street). Either way DID will be the way to go, ordering one tomorrow.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by VolvoWrench [+]
Vito, since you work at a beemer dealer, I'm sure you're well aware of the "12 month adjustment period". If your chain had lost the O-rings in that time, I'd say warranty for sure, since you're way beyond that, I can see them not covering it.

Also, I see in your gallery photos a lot of you doing wheelies. Sure the bike and chain should be up for that but, you certainly are pushing the bike.

Lol I think that closes the book on that one !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:32:05 PM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline mycousinvito

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bergen County NJ
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 06:04:57 PM »

Offline RyanSnyman46

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000R 17
  • City / Town: Cape Town
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by CraigA [+]
The guy you spoke to is a professional diffuser. He can obviously lie with the best of them, although I agree that as a consumable chains are not usually a warranty claim, unless it starts falling to bits within 1000miles, in which case its obviously faulty.

If you're supposed to change it at 12000miles, I would have asked the bullshit artist, sorry, I mean "Service Manager" why it isn't on the service schedule?

A chain will last a long time if you are fastidious with maintenance. Mine has just under 40,000klms on it and is in great condition. That's 25,000 miles for you metric naysayers!

if I may ask what type of maintenance do you do and how often ?

I do oil and filters every 5 000kms and run bmw oil I also let the bike idle to 60 degrees before riding and don't use the up or down shifter in the first 2kms... I also don't use the up or down shifter below 6k

keen to hear on 40 plus kms what sort of maintenance you have had to do ie cam chain tensioners or shims or whatever
Be yourself but be your best self. Also don't worry about other people just be happy!

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
No worries.
My bike is now at 54,000km.
My maintenance inludes 5000km changes.
My cam chain tensioner was replaced at 28000km with a SoCal Motowerks manual tensioner.
Other than that, its just been standard stuff like tyres, a new battery, I just fitted a new chain and sprockets because the front sprocket was looking a little worse for wear.
The 10k services are done as per the BMW schedule.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:26:00 PM by CraigA »

Offline RyanSnyman46

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
Great thanks Bro it seems the manual tensioner is the way to go. I'm currently on 16 000kms so anticipating il need to do chain and sprockets soon but they still look good. So might just wait till 20kms..

Thanks!
Be yourself but be your best self. Also don't worry about other people just be happy!

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 10:30:28 PM »
I guess BMW must use substandard chains, my 10 year old (when I traded it in) R1 still had the original chain and sprockets on it (D.I.D. 50AV8) and over 40,000kms and it was as good as new.

Offline RyanSnyman46

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 05:44:22 AM »
I think the stuff is good mine still looks good and Im a very fast paced trackday rider I run around 7 seconds off the lap record on my track at home in Cape Town

The stuff still looks great it's just mentally I'd rather change and then I know it's fresh and feeling good again!

I wheelie alot on power in 3rd and I run through the box and put down around 190 to 240 so she gets ridden hard 😎🤘🏻

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor