Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is it time for a new chain?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline mycousinvito

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bergen County NJ
Re: Is it time for a new chain?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
Just got back from the dealer. Chains are not covered by warranty and according to their service manager you're supposed to change your chain before 12,000 miles which I've never heard before in my life..... They said it's common because of the amount of torque the bike puts out. The question now I guess is do i get the OEM chain or get an aftermarket one?

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by mycousinvito [+]
Just got back from the dealer. Chains are not covered by warranty and according to their service manager you're supposed to change your chain before 12,000 miles which I've never heard before in my life..... They said it's common because of the amount of torque the bike puts out. The question now I guess is do i get the OEM chain or get an aftermarket one?

Typical dealer response.  Mine lasted over 20,000 miles as did the chain on my previous Ninja 1000.  My 1199 Panigale went 17,000.

Im curious as to what you use to clean and lube it. 
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by jjsc6 [+]
Im curious as to what you use to clean and lube it.

I use chain cleaner and lube by motorex. I hit it with the grunge brush and a rag as needed. I usually clean and lube every 300-500 miles depending on what the chain looks like. I live in northern NJ and the roads out here are not the greatest so the chain does get cleaned very often.

Offline andynj

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: NJ
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 12:46:30 AM »
I use chain cleaner and lube by motorex. I hit it with the grunge brush and a rag as needed. I usually clean and lube every 300-500 miles depending on what the chain looks like. I live in northern NJ and the roads out here are not the greatest so the chain does get cleaned very often.

Where are you in NJ?  I'm in Hoboken just down the road from Bergen County, do you go to Cross Country for services?
Andy

Offline mycousinvito

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bergen County NJ
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 12:53:49 AM »
I'm in Hoboken all the time lol. I'm up by like Old Tappan/River Vale area. I service with Cross country but they just opened up a BMW only store in Hasbrouck Heights... I work for Park Ave BMW so it's right around the block from me...... but even as an employee they ain't helping me out.

Offline andynj

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: NJ
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »
Cool there are at least 2 other S1000r's in Hoboken, a white one round the corner from me and a frost blue I see riding around sometimes.  I had my k1300s serviced once at CC and they were not good so now I send my bike to MaxBMW, their service van is in Hoboken every Thursday for pick up and drop off.  I do all my own routine stuff and service my friends bikes  let me know if you ever need work doing I have a ramp and lots of tools!

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »

The guy you spoke to is a professional diffuser. He can obviously lie with the best of them, although I agree that as a consumable chains are not usually a warranty claim, unless it starts falling to bits within 1000miles, in which case its obviously faulty.

If you're supposed to change it at 12000miles, I would have asked the bullshit artist, sorry, I mean "Service Manager" why it isn't on the service schedule?

A chain will last a long time if you are fastidious with maintenance. Mine has just under 40,000klms on it and is in great condition. That's 25,000 miles for you metric naysayers!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:14:37 AM by CraigA »

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
you're supposed to change your chain before 12,000 miles which I've never heard before in my life..... They said it's common because of the amount of torque the bike puts out.

Your dealer is feeding you utter ##### ! If there's a fault with the chain there's a fault - they should either say, sorry consumables not covered or in good faith say, an at costs replacement.  As a dealer I'd look a the chain and if it seem reasonably maintained and adjusted, take a customer friendly view instead of completely making up nonsense !

If you replace and branded premium chain is cheaper than oem go with that - I tend to use OEM sprockets (steel) for road use       

Offline mel b

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
Ditto what the others have said - should be done under warranty.

I'm anal regarding chain maintenance (clean, adjust and lube very frequently).
I've found it helps a massively with gear changes - quick shift or standard.
The chain on my previous bike (CB1000R) had done 24,000 enthusiastic miles and was still in good condition.
Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by mel b [+]
Ditto what the others have said - should be done under warranty.

I'm anal regarding chain maintenance (clean, adjust and lube very frequently).
I've found it helps a massively with gear changes - quick shift or standard.
The chain on my previous bike (CB1000R) had done 24,000 enthusiastic miles and was still in good condition.

I do not agree that it should be a warranty item.  That would be like asking them to cover a tire that only lasts 2500 miles.  If someone never touches their chain and rides in the rain a lot would you cover it?  Or lets say they use contact cleaner to clean it the spritz a little 3 in 1 sewing machine oil on it?  Their are a hundred ways to abuse a chain. The absolute worst is over tightening, and that is very easy to do.

I could see warrantying it at 2000 miles if the bike looks well cared for, but 12,500 is not even close to qualifying for a replacement in my opinion.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Recent Posts/Topics