Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BrenTuning ECU Stage 1...Reviews for the R?  (Read 4325 times)

Offline kevin

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: bmw s1000r
  • City / Town: Lier
Re: BrenTuning ECU Stage 1...Reviews for the R?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by starpower [+]
There is not any OEM throttle restriction other than in Rain mode, and BrenTuning does not effect that mode. My seat of pants was based on gears 1-3 wfo where I did not feel any notable Improvements. BrenTuning does more then just fueling they do nice tweaks to the quick shifter and I believe the abs but not certain. Was the outcome worth $400? Im not sure, a lot of folks have had quick shifter issues and mine is flawless even from 1-2 at low rev. As to improvement to ride quality - not significant ignoring the quick shifter.
That looks like a stock bike. I would get my money back. That's a con! 😠

Online CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »
So what is the real comparison on dyno? Or is it all a fart! On RR forums people keep raving about brentuning but I am yet to see a proper dyno comparison,
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
It really is quite bizarre, over a year now and no before and after dyno runs that anyone can post! Shame on me for not getting a pre flash bench mark. On one hand I "feel" no power gain, on the other 151 rwhp is pretty high for a 160 at the crank manu rating that should be in the 136 to 145 rwhp range. This all speculative nonsense, maybe in another year we will find results to share.....
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Online CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 06:10:15 AM »
On some mag dynos the R has been making 157-160 ish. So BMW is almost rating it a the rear wheel. At crank must be 170 hp while delivering better low-midrange than the RR. Impressive stock as it is given that it is the smoothest throttle on a stock bike I have experienced! Its unreal.
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline ThrottleJock

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R, ZG1400
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
I had the stage 1 flash done on mine primarily to have it mapped richer after I swapped to a full system. Also, the traction control I felt was overly intrusive unless I was in dynamic pro so I requested that they dial it back in dynamic. The seat of the pants results were shocking. You have to immediately reset your fueling, throttle position, and quickshifter then let those go through the learning cycle, but the bike is completely insane now.

Unfortunately I too do not have valid before & after numbers.
Bone stock my bike dynoed at 154hp on a 95 degree day. I had it dynoed last week with the flash, exhaust, sprint p08 and iat relocation and it put down 146hp whilst spinning the tire. We were not able to get a clean run without wheelspin. I called Bren and he said to dyno it in 5th, they have to do that on the RR's. Never thought of that, we were making pulls in 4th with rear strapped down and operator sitting on pillion.

Link to the vid
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:19:08 PM by ThrottleJock »

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »
Big thanks for posting this. Do you plan to attempt a clean run in 5th?
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline ThrottleJock

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
Yes indeed, April 28th I'm on the list for the rollers. I've added a subframe tie down hook so we can better cinch it down, and we'll make the pulls in 5th. Looking forward to it!

Offline ThrottleJock

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
Also, I know the ECU flash concept is relatively new in the motorcycling world, but it's been in play in the automotive side for 20yrs and superbikes have been running "kit" ecus for at least as long. It is very real and very effective if you have a good tuner. The argument about doubt that the parameters set by BMW engineers cannot be improved upon is invalid if you consider that manufacturers are required to work within a strict set of guidelines for emissions, noise, and safety. As a consumer who lives in a state in the US that does not restrict motorcycle emissions I give [censored - unaccepatble, you risk being banned!] ] all whether or not my bike would pass the MOT, for example.
I've removed the catalytic converter, installed more efficient (larger, thinner, more prone to damage and burning the rider) exhaust, installed a race filter that bmw would never put on their bikes for fear of warranty claims from poorly maintained bikes. I've made the decision that I will never run fuel lower than 93 octane (bmw configures them to be perfectly happy on 87). I've given all this information to the tuner who has run thousands of pulls with countless configurations and he pulled a map off the shelf and flashed my ecu to align with my setup and accepted level of risk (knock sensor disabled, if I run sh#t gas bike pings). Voila, horsepower! Side effect- I can't run crappy gas, my bike gets 29mpg (I sh#t you not), the motor and trans and clutch ate more likely to break than if I'd have left it stock, the bike runs approx 15 degrees warmer, and it eats rear tires. :) I work in technology and I think this is amazing stuff.

Side note, my dad (71yrs young) has a '16 VW GTI with sport pack. Stock horsepower is 227. He's got a downpipe and stage 2 flash on it, it dynoed at 340hp. ! Amazing stuff. Risky, maybe... but amazing.

Offline ThrottleJock

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »
Oof I guess words of color are frowned upon on this forum, sorry moderators!

Offline Boosted Ego

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: Bmw S1000R
  • City / Town: Orlando
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
Update on 5th gear dyno pulls? Did this ever happen?
14 Single R Premium

Recent Posts/Topics