Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BrenTuning ECU Stage 1...Reviews for the R?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline bmwahba

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000RS
  • City / Town: FL
BrenTuning ECU Stage 1...Reviews for the R?
« on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »
Hey everyone,

BrenTuning is running a big Black Friday sale on S1000R Stage 1 ECU flashes...$400 from an original $700.

I read through this entire thread but haven't found much else regarding the BrenTuning ECU flash for the R...most reviews are on the RR.
https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,3547.0.html

Anyone here have experience with the Tune?
https://brentuningmoto.com/product/2014-stage-1-bmw-s1000r-mail-in-ecu-tuning/

Big claims in terms of performance but curious to hear how the bike runs overall after the ECU tune. Not so much interested in huge amounts of power increases as I am in more torque, throttle derestriction, etc.

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Re: BrenTuning ECU Stage 1...Reviews for the R?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
Ive done the tune and made the massive mistake of not doing a dyno OEM base run. I ended up with 152.8 rwhp and 79.47 torque. Without knowing where it was pre tune makes these numbers all but meaningless. I can say seat of pants experience is not much change and I feel that it did not pick up the 20-25 hp claimed. Maybe 10-15 and that in itself is impressive. As to your concern, you will be hard pressed to see a straighter torque and hp curve, it is perfection. However BMW got it pretty damn fine to begin with.

What I find odd and disturbing is that I have yet to find a single before and after dyno sheet published. This is especially strange that BrenTune does not have even one leaving me wondering how they optimized the tune?
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline bmwahba

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by starpower [+]
Ive done the tune and made the massive mistake of not doing a dyno OEM base run. I ended up with 152.8 rwhp and 79.47 torque. Without knowing where it was pre tune makes these numbers all but meaningless. I can say seat of pants experience is not much change and I feel that it did not pick up the 20-25 hp claimed. Maybe 10-15 and that in itself is impressive. As to your concern, you will be hard pressed to see a straighter torque and hp curve, it is perfection. However BMW got it pretty damn fine to begin with.

What I find odd and disturbing is that I have yet to find a single before and after dyno sheet published. This is especially strange that BrenTune does not have even one leaving me wondering how they optimized the tune?

Thanks for the feedback man! This is interesting. Im curious as well in regards to the dyno information. Although, at least for me, dyno HP gains isnt that important to me. At the end of the day what am I going to do with all that extra HP? Im more interested in useful statistics and performance like fueling, torque, ride ability etc.

In terms of your torque and hp curve, do you have a dyno post tune? And overall you feel there is a slight to medium increase in low end torque? At full throttle, in regards to the throttle derestriction, do you feel an increase in power in gears 1-3?

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »
There is not any OEM throttle restriction other than in Rain mode, and BrenTuning does not effect that mode. My seat of pants was based on gears 1-3 wfo where I did not feel any notable Improvements. BrenTuning does more then just fueling they do nice tweaks to the quick shifter and I believe the abs but not certain. Was the outcome worth $400? Im not sure, a lot of folks have had quick shifter issues and mine is flawless even from 1-2 at low rev. As to improvement to ride quality - not significant ignoring the quick shifter.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
If its one of those mail us your ECU services, I just dont believe in them - for me if your bike is tuned your bike has to be there to physically be tuned and tested !

Offline andrewbrandon19

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Yorktown, VA
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:06:40 PM »
I like how the stage 1 and stage 2 say pretty much the same thing under Modifications and Quantitative DIffrences.  I also like how they are also saying the stage 2 has maps imported from the RR and HP4, even though the R engine is set up for a completely different rev range and the internals are adapted to that range.

Also, what in the world is that 80% wide open throttle restriction they are talking about?  Do they mean the first service/break in rpm limiter?
2015 BMW S1000R  -  The DD
2014 Toyota Taco  -  The "its raining" or "its under 30F out"
2013 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO  SOLD
1995 Pontiac Firebird  SOLD

Offline bmwahba

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by andrewbrandon19 [+]
I like how the stage 1 and stage 2 say pretty much the same thing under Modifications and Quantitative DIffrences.  I also like how they are also saying the stage 2 has maps imported from the RR and HP4, even though the R engine is set up for a completely different rev range and the internals are adapted to that range.

Also, what in the world is that 80% wide open throttle restriction they are talking about?  Do they mean the first service/break in rpm limiter?
It refers to the throttle position of the throttle blades at WOT. In a lot of bikes, I think ours included (Im not 100% sure) have a limit that even at WOT, the throttle blades arent actually 100% open.

Theres a video that explains this a lot better than I can.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:30:03 PM by bmwahba »

Offline valter

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Black R
  • City / Town: Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by starpower [+]
There is not any OEM throttle restriction other than in Rain mode,

I don't know if that is entirely true. After running my GS911 on my bike for the first time, found this:

what do you make of that?

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 01:32:59 AM »
The reason to keep the throttle bodies from running wide open at times is to increase the intake velocity.  A wider intake will actually reduce the flow at times as compared to one somewhat restricted.

If you think the BMW engineers haven't got a much better handle on this than the Bren guys...
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline opmike

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by miles [+]
If you think the BMW engineers haven't got a much better handle on this than the Bren guys...

This is flawed thinking. The BMW Engineers have more considerations that simply outright performance. Yamaha has some pretty danged good engineers as well, and shipping my old FZ-09s ECU off for tuning was a significant improvement in that bike's rideability. The development teams do what they can within the constraints of noise/emissions standards, bean counters, lawyers, etc. Not all of these are a factor for the aftermarket. It's not like these major car and motorcycle corporations don't have a history of using components known to fail prematurely. I'd strongly encourage you to watch the work that Brock did on that GSX-R1000 linked above; it's a very in-depth analysis of the development of an ECU tune.

Will our bikes benefit from an ECU tune from the guys at BrenTuning? I have no idea. However, it gets tiresome hearing broad sweeping comments like, "You think they can do better than the _____ engineers?" every time motorcycling tuning and modifications come up on bike forums. Let's address the specific claims made in the specific cases.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor