Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory...whoa!  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Lowrance

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: So Cal
2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory...whoa!
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:27:35 AM »
Spent a half hour on one on the Angeles Crest Highway today.  Bike is amazing-full stop, telepathic handling, plush and controlled stock Ohlins suspension (added 5 turns compression damping front and rear and bike railed with my 250lbs on board), great motor and looks good.  I spent an hour on the 2016 version last year and while good, it doesn't hold a candle to the 2017.

Was about to reach for my check book (not kidding, the bike is that good) until the demo I was riding wouldn't start for the next guy wanting to test it, it had all kinds of warning symbols on the really nice looking TFT dash.  I broke it!  Now I know I ride bikes hard (and I rode the piss out of this bike, literally thrashed the sh#t out of it) but if it can't withstand the spanking I gave it today - what's the point?  Can't justify spending $17k on a bike that's going to sh#t itself after I have my way with it. 

Still haven't ridden the FZ-10...still can't get past the looks.  Rode the 2017 1290 SDR and liked it, not as good as the Tuono but close and way more comfortable.  Didn't like the price though.

Guess the search for the S1KR replacement continues...maybe when they start discounting the over priced 1290s.
Why is common sense so uncommon?

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
Re: 2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory...whoa!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 01:50:47 AM »
My friend and I just had this conversation at lunch today. What to buy next (we both own S1000s).  None of them is an obvious choice for us.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline DRoss

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 02:43:46 AM »
Anything else is a compromise, thou the sound that Tuono make is sweet.

Last weekends ride I was leading and doing about 6000 rpm behind a car so I gave it the beens and went around, in my Packtalk all my buddy could say is holy sh#t. It don't get better than that  :305:

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:51:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lowrance [+]
Spent a half hour on one on the Angeles Crest Highway today.  Bike is amazing-full stop, telepathic handling, plush and controlled stock Ohlins suspension (added 5 turns compression damping front and rear and bike railed with my 250lbs on board), great motor and looks good.  I spent an hour on the 2016 version last year and while good, it doesn't hold a candle to the 2017.

Was about to reach for my check book (not kidding, the bike is that good) until the demo I was riding wouldn't start for the next guy wanting to test it, it had all kinds of warning symbols on the really nice looking TFT dash.  I broke it!  Now I know I ride bikes hard (and I rode the piss out of this bike, literally thrashed the sh#t out of it) but if it can't withstand the spanking I gave it today - what's the point?  Can't justify spending $17k on a bike that's going to sh#t itself after I have my way with it. 

Still haven't ridden the FZ-10...still can't get past the looks.  Rode the 2017 1290 SDR and liked it, not as good as the Tuono but close and way more comfortable.  Didn't like the price though.

Guess the search for the S1KR replacement continues...maybe when they start discounting the over priced 1290s.

Before you give up on the 1100, you might want to contact TL2Bass on the af1 aprilia forum http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?89-2012-2016-Tuono-V4-All-Variants.

He seems very knowledgeable, owns a '16 1100, and rides out your way (PCH) as well I believe. He does guest appearances as a reviewer on motorcycle.com also.

Offline ampj8

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1kR, Duc Hyper
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lowrance [+]

Finally! you rode the best super naked there is.
About the glitches well, Mine has now 4000 km no issues at all with one track day already on it. Had to put a bit of oil but nothing else. New Diable Rosso III and new Akra street legal slip on and there is the symphonic sound of the V4.

I would not stop buying it because of that demo. Having read you for some years in here now Lowrance, I think you will be missing some piece of bike you will enjoy a lot.

On top you guys in USA can put a full racing exhaust system on them ... oh my do the reflash ECU thing.... oh what are you waiting for?

For me it rides very nice has the feel of a race bike specially when you properly use your body to steer it.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 & XR400R
  • City / Town: Anaheim
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
I test rode a '16 Tuono and feel there may be reliability issues as an owner.  Mine stalled out at least 3 times taking off from a stoplight.  I agree the engine sounds sweet, but this is not a bike to keep after the warranty expires.

As for the FZ-10, I demoed that as well.  That crossplane also sounds great, but I can forgive its unique styling.  What I can't get over is Yamaha still using rubber brake lines in a performance-oriented machine.  :151:  Dollar-for-dollar it stacks up well to the S1KR, but my dealer discounted the left-over '16 to make the BMW a better purchase.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
Not sure about pricing in the US, but in Canada an FZ-10 costs the same (give or take $100) as the (base) S1KR.

Only the S1kR comes with braided lines, heated grips, and brembo brakes and the Akra HP pipe (that most people hate, but I think it sounds nice enough).

If the Yamaha was $1,000 cheaper I'd have bought it instead :P

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »
The FZ10 is on the short list for my next bike.  Bringing the SP to the states would help the odds.  The Superduke is on the short list....I think.  The looks really turn me off, and it needs to be heavily discounted.  The GT is somewhat better looking and even more nice features, but also has a price problem. Why is this never easy!
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
If they brought the FZ10 (now called MT10 for 2018, even in North America, from what I read) SP to this side of the Atlantic, I'd trade my S1000R in on it in a heartbeat.  I miss my R1 so badly :/

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:35:35 AM »
I was so many times tempted to put my $$ down on those Tuono V4s and might have bought one if I didn't have my RR and FZ1. In looking to replace the FZ1 the S1KR came the closest in terms of electronics, power and handling. The tuono is low on power but makes up with the handling. I enjoy the DDC though and ability to set it up for any type of riding.

A big consideration against the Aprilia is the reliability! Can't have it as the only bike for sure. 
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Recent Posts/Topics