Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My DDC modification story, heavy rider modifications.  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Stavanger
Re: My DDC modification story, heavy rider modifications.
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by AussieS1KR [+]
Can verify this. My gf's bike with pre load wound out sits waaay lower than mine. Mine has been wound all the way in and she can barely ride my bike.

Can also be seen in my measurements above. with zero preload it was 59,5cm,with max it was 61cm, the rear came up 15mm on the preload.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Stavanger
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
It痴 been some time testing, and I have covered around 300+km with the new Wilbers system.

Not going to lie, this upgrade is great as far as I知 concerned, money well spent, I pretty much got a new bike.

First of all the feel of the bike is hugely improved, I feel much more confident now.
 Hitting bumps, tears or joints in the road, especially mid-corner is no longer an experience warranting a clean set of underpants.
I知 now much more confident pushing the bike through corners. 
Mind you, I have only 300+km so far, and not only do I suffer from the winter break, but also 10.000km with the old suspension in the back of my head.
 I知 afraid I might get a bit too confident during this season though :)

I had my SAG set up, and for someone weighing 100kg plus gear, I have a lot more adjustment to go, both on the forks and shock.
I have been playing with Wilbers fast/slow compression, and I have found a setting I知 happy with. Pretty much 6 clicks in from minimum for slow compression (30 click range), and 3 clicks in for fast.
 That gives me a rear that is not moving too much during accelerations or when pushing through corners, while at the same time soaking up bumps without sending shocks up my spine.

There have been occasions where I have been wondering what has been going on, as the bike had an odd feel to it, then realized that I was riding on old, worn, coarse asfalt and the odd feel was the feedback from the road surface.

The bike is no longer ォnumbサ and unbalanced in lack of a better term. It痴 now crisp and balanced in a whole new way, I have a good feel for the surface and grip, I dear to ride much faster in corners with higher lean angles than before.
 But most of all, I知 no longer terrified to hit a bump or the asfalt joint mid-corner, I still feel them, but the bike just soak them up with no drama.

The suspension modes, Soft, Normal and Hard are vastly different, to be honest I find myself riding in soft most of the time. In the other modes the feedback is somewhat overwhelming at the moment, I can more or less distinguish individual stones in the asfalt. I have ridden in Normal when riding spirited on mountain roads, but on country roads, motorways, towns and cities I find myself riding in Soft. 

I guess this is what the bike feels like for someone weighing 75-80kg plus gear.

I have found a setting I'm happy with at the moment, but I may end up tinkering a bit more with it as I get even more confident with the bike.

Would I do this again? Absolutely !!

Note: Since I'm not an avid track rider, I can't give a good evaluation on how this works out on track. I suspect it would be a huge improvement, but no idea if it can rival a conventional system.

Offline Lowrance

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: So Cal
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »
Good feedback Nog.
Why is common sense so uncommon?

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »
Good results Noggie! Keep the feedback coming.

Online zombie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »
Great, now all I need to do is sell a kidney to pay for the wilbers shock, lol.

Offline sweatmark

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Oregon
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2018, 02:57:32 AM »
Noggie - thanks for the follow-up Wilbers DDC report, and for your exhaust swap video. I'm doing both when sales of spare moto parts fund the projects... 50% of fund raising goal as last week.
Mark
Oregon
R1150R, F800S, S1000R, K1300S

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor