Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 1743 times)

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »
I ended up with coolant leaking past the cap after a service - I just topped up a few mil with distilled water, took the cap off and re-fastened it - seemed to do the trick. Looking at the forum though there are various coolant link issues - From The Rad Cap, From The Coolant Reservoir Overflow and from the Water Pump Seal - so is always best to check out all options- lots of really useful info on all of these on the forum.     

Offline MA413

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
I think Ill go the distilled route and play it safe.  I appreciate the input.
17S1KR

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
Don't use "good old antifreeze" either use BMW OEM or go to a NAPA auto store and buy Pentosin NF, it is the same product and also blue. This goes for all BMW bikes.
There used to be a kit for the older overflow bottles that just had a hole, Consisted of a hose. Just find some rubber auto type hose that is a tiny bit larger than the hole so it will snug in and lead it up a foot and tie wrap it off. Or buy the new style tank. And yes one fastener is normally missing.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Don't use "good old antifreeze" either use BMW OEM or go to a NAPA auto store and buy Pentosin NF, it is the same product and also blue. This goes for all BMW bikes.
There used to be a kit for the older overflow bottles that just had a hole, Consisted of a hose. Just find some rubber auto type hose that is a tiny bit larger than the hole so it will snug in and lead it up a foot and tie wrap it off. Or buy the new style tank. And yes one fastener is normally missing.
I appreciate the heads up.  I ended up filling the over flow bottle with distilled water as nrthrnbikr suggested to play it safe.  Took her for a spin and not leaks that Im aware of.  Fan kicked in at 208F so I couldnt see a reaction @212F IF it was to boil over will sitting idle.  I do have the overflow bottle with cap and tube thankfully so all is good. 
17S1KR

Offline Stellar

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport Red
  • City / Town: Launceston
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
I had the same problem on my 2014 when she was only 12 mnths old, fluid leaked down the outside of the hose, radiator cap from memory.

Never happened since, regularly run around 103 deg c in city work in summer, 30 c day and quickly cools back to around 74 c on the open road .

You should never mix coolants, out here we have red or green, if you mix them you will end up with a radiator full of " porridge " 
BMW S1000R  Sport  Red ,with the lot
Bultaco Metralla 250

Offline MA413

• S1000R Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »
Thankfully, no issues since topping it off with distilled water.  Still cant figure how the cap came loose.  Glad I caught it before it got worse.
17S1KR

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor