Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Coolant leak
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:30:59 PM »
I rode to the market and back - maybe 3 miles.  As I was parking I noticed a lot of steam coming off he radiator - thought it was because it was getting cold and wet fast.  Then I saw that coolant was pouring onto the ground.  It looks like its coming from the upper radiator and falling on the lower.  Its a gush.

Nothing unusual happened.  Bike was running strong right before this happened.  No damage anywhere on the bike.  Last year some one bumped me and knocked the main coolant hose seal loose.  That was repaired. 

Will post images later.

Any thoughts?

Offline edison

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: s1000r sport
  • City / Town: london
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
You are not the only one.... same thing happened to me and it's all been fixed under warranty so I didn't ask much questions... It seems a common problem tbh as I know several guys had the same issue. Coolant will dry out quite quickly so do remember to fill up some water if you want to ride it to the dealer...

Good luck

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
Thanks man.  So you didn't get any details about why this is a common phenomenon?

It wasn't leaking, it was spewing out - as if a seal had broken or something.  Or maybe that's just how it behaves when its hot.

I've had the bike for 13 months, so Im not sure about my warranty.  But its only got about 3k on it, so I;d be super pissed if its not taken care of. 

Offline edison

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: s1000r sport
  • City / Town: london
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lavaspit [+]
Thanks man.  So you didn't get any details about why this is a common phenomenon?

It wasn't leaking, it was spewing out - as if a seal had broken or something.  Or maybe that's just how it behaves when its hot.

I've had the bike for 13 months, so Im not sure about my warranty.  But its only got about 3k on it, so I;d be super pissed if its not taken care of.

I think they told me it's a cap failure of the coolant tank.

Mine was exactly the same like following video.

Offline chrisopotamus

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
Happened to me too and it was air trapped in the radiator. I burped the radiator, topped it up and then replaced the cap just in case.

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 06:28:36 PM »
Hmm...where's the actual cap?  That looks like a split in the reservoir.

Beyond warranty I'd think that would be considered a defect.

I'm not going to try and say I miss my airheads in general, but today I definitely do.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lavaspit [+]
Hmm...where's the actual cap?  That looks like a split in the reservoir.

that is the original design coolant 'Expansion' tank, it had and overflow hole in the top of the reservoir. The new design has no hole, but an outlet with an overflow pipe that comes out of the cap.

I still believe that these 'catastrophic' expulsions as seen in these videos come dome to air in the system somewhere, how it got here I don't know. Luckily for me I have not had this issue. I did loose coolant when I 1st got the bike (14 model with the old design tank), but that stopped once the new design tank was in place.

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
Mine is a 2016.

It sure looks catastrophic.

Offline Dr. D

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Reston, VA
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
Mine did something like that. It was a faulty radiator cap. It should vent when the coolant gets too hot, but it was stuck closed. Hence, hot coolant out the reservoir.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
Sorry old thread but desperate for some advice. My new ride has 128 miles on her and pissed out coolant when I got home.  So, I pull the cowl and notice my rad cap was not secure completely to the pronounced stop.  Unsure why, but I am curious to know can I fill the rad with good old 50/50 anti freeze or should I get BMW?  I f I go for option A will this void the warranty because the Prestone is green and might be noticeable mixed with BMW blue fluid. I dont want to raise the red flag at the dealer. My dealer is an hour drive from home.  Im real disappointed reading the negative remarks about the ongoing coolant issue.  Thanks!
Nick
17S1KR

Recent Posts/Topics