Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front end feel  (Read 7378 times)

Offline sweatmark

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Oregon
Re: Front end feel
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by miles [+]
I'll be honest- my R can't hold a candle to my old RR on the track.  My lack of confidence in the front end was a real issue for a while, but with a few geometry changes I've pretty much got that sorted out.  I'm still not as fast on the track as I was on the RR, but fast enough.

On the roads I like, though, the R is far superior.  The body position that works so poorly on the track is fantastic for the narrow, twisty back roads I enjoy because it allows me to sit up and look where I'm going much better than the racer tuck the RR's clips provided.  The wide bars allow for better leverage when things get really tight, too.

Since I ride 50 times on the road for every time on the track, I'd say the trade was worth it.

Thanks. I needed to read that last line this week, while pondering never-ending motorcycle questions.
Mark
Oregon
K1300S, R1150R, S1000R

Offline UnluckyTimmeh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport 17
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
So Ive had a play today. Cant tell you whether its made a difference but it will bring the weight forward.

The only danger is by lowering it this much the travel on the forks is still 90mm but the clearance between the front fender and headlight is only 70mm could be entertaining.

Ill attach some photos of standard setup and then mine.

Hoping this well give me the front end feel.

Offline UnluckyTimmeh

• S1000R Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
Standard

Offline UnluckyTimmeh

• S1000R Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
and now...  :001:

Offline greentree428

• S1000R Pro
  • Jake
  • Bike: 16' S1000R
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 04:08:56 AM »
UnluckyTimmeh, how is that change working for you? We're there any other adjustments that were required after doing this? Also, was the feeling in the DDC modes any different?

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 05:31:48 AM »
I had my forks dropped that far when I was running Q3s.  It was the only way to get the bike to load up the front end enough.

The Contis I'm running now are much lower profile and I had to put the forks back down three rings- the front was as wobbly as the front wheel on a shopping cart.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline UnluckyTimmeh

• S1000R Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by greentree428 [+]
UnluckyTimmeh, how is that change working for you? We're there any other adjustments that were required after doing this? Also, was the feeling in the DDC modes any different?

Hi GT, I haven't been out on it as yet as the road are still in a pretty crappy state here. I'm hoping to get out on Sunday though. I'll report back. 

Offline lospsi

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
Lowering the front triple could be a solution for front end feel. Wonder if anyone had clearance issues with front wheel and radiator during hard braking?
S1000R red
Faster than I can handle...

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by miles [+]
I'll be honest- my R can't hold a candle to my old RR on the track.  My lack of confidence in the front end was a real issue for a while, but with a few geometry changes I've pretty much got that sorted out.  I'm still not as fast on the track as I was on the RR, but fast enough.

On the roads I like, though, the R is far superior.  The body position that works so poorly on the track is fantastic for the narrow, twisty back roads I enjoy because it allows me to sit up and look where I'm going much better than the racer tuck the RR's clips provided.  The wide bars allow for better leverage when things get really tight, too.

Since I ride 50 times on the road for every time on the track, I'd say the trade was worth it.

Yup, that summarizes my personal experience so much again and again! I initially could never figure out why I never felt comfortable and fast on the full SS bikes on the street. Every time I used hop back on my FZ1 from my Daytona, I used to be comfortable and faster.
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline Crc

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 07:21:01 PM »
Hi Guys
Im sure this has probably been discussed but struggling to gain concrete information.... any advice on improving front end feel on Bmw s1000. It starts to feel nervous and handlebars almost start to wobble on hard exceleration and the same on maintaining high speedso. 2014 year, any mods or improvements to make it more planted
Thanks
Ryan

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor